Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M20 Clutch and Brake Levers - where to buy original or nice replicas

I am moving along on my 1944 BSA M20 restoration. I have bare 7/8" handlebars - I need all of the controls that go on them. Who sells original or nice replica clutch/brake levers etc. Thanks!

email (option): questmasters(at)hotmail(dot)com

Re: BSA M20 Clutch and Brake Levers - where to buy original or nice replicas

I think Jiri in Czeck republic makes the best repro parts.....Although in my experience his chrome is crap.

https://www.vintage-replica.cz/packy/

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron,
Thank you! Of the ones pictured on the page you sent me, which ones are correct (by the number he listed) for a 1944 BSA M20?
And they should be left chrome when installed on my M20 or were they painted green?

Ron,
Thank you!

I did post in the "wanted" section, but did not get any replies. If you have anything or know anyone that does, please let me know.

Do you have any photos of each part so I can compare the shapes of the correct parts?

There are about 1001 permutations of 1930s / '40s levers made by the big three English manufacturers, Amal, Bowden and Doherty, all of whom made a range of controls for machines from economy lightweights to luxury heavyweights and taking into account the preferences of the factories that they supplied. Most bikes of that period have ended up with a mixture and I'm not aware of any source of pattern levers that promises a set suitable for any given make, model and year.

Most owners are happy with something generic that looks about right or simply anything that fits and works and they will spit venom and place curses on 'rivet-counters' at any suggestion that things could be improved. If you're truly looking for museum-quality / rivet-counter accuracy then the only option is to piece sets together. In the UK this will mean scouring jumbles for individual components or job lots with the eye on one or two parts.

If based overseas then the only option is probably eBay UK. I've just had a look in my Amal 7/8"s box and only have top levers with horizontal (not hinged), clamps and a valve lifter with the cable entry opposite on the pivot...there is no easy way to build these sets and it won't be cheap either (although the odd bargain is out there).

Quest Master
Ron,
Thank you!

I did post in the "wanted" section, but did not get any replies. If you have anything or know anyone that does, please let me know.

Do you have any photos of each part so I can compare the shapes of the correct parts?
I need to go through my stuff sometime and see what I have and what I want to part with. Maybe in the coming week.

Ron

So far I've put these few pieces together that I'm prepared to part with.. Mostly from individual parts that I've collected over the years. A correct brass valve lift lever and a choke and mag lever which are not matched with the clamping arrangement.

Email me off forum if any of the controls are of interest. Ron

DSCF1430

Nieuwe pagina 1