Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WDCO clutch removal

Hi all,

I've started this weekend to disassemble my CO to prepare it for a paint job. Doing so I came across the primary chain case. I've managed to remove the front sprocket, but I have no idea how to remove the clutch thingy in order to completely remove the chain case.

I don't have a manual for this bike so can anybody help me out? What's the best order to remove this part? Which tools do I need?

Clutch

Cheers,
Bas

email (option): bas(dot)jorritsma(at)gmail(dot)com

Re: WDCO clutch removal

Bas here is the clutch tool, but I've removed Royal Enfield clutches several times without the need to make or buy the puller.

By using the round cover that goes over the rubber cush drum. Place it loosely over the three studs and screw the three clutch cover bolts in. Then with the use of a piece of studding and nuts some washers large enough to cover the central hole, you can make a simple puller, with stuff probably hanging round your workshop. Ron

Scan-20190210

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron! I was already afraid special tools were needed.

Well only special if you want the special puller. But at the worst, to do it the way I describe, you only need to get some 8 or 10mm studding with nuts from B&Q/Screwfix/Tool Station for just a few pounds/Euros. Ron

Ron is it a straight or conical axle?

I must be missing something Bas. What axle are you referring to? Will check in again at 6am.

Night Night. Ron

It's really rather difficult to respond to this without sounding supercillious...but I can't understand where the pleasure might be in this hobby if one isn't prepared to obtain all the available literature first (modern copies are cheap enough) and then to suffer under an aversion to 'special tools', even something as mundane as a clutch puller.

These are old-fashioned relatively simple machines, but should we be expecting to dismantle them using only a hammer and cold-chisel ?

Rik
It's really rather difficult to respond to this without sounding supercillious...but I can't understand where the pleasure might be in this hobby if one isn't prepared to obtain all the available literature first (modern copies are cheap enough) and then to suffer under an aversion to 'special tools', even something as mundane as a clutch puller.

These are old-fashioned relatively simple machines, but should we be expecting to dismantle them using only a hammer and cold-chisel ?
Isn't that the offical HD tool kit from 1936 through to 2019 ?

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Coincidentally I was going to mention that in my reply this morning. I would not want to work on any bike without some form of instruction manual and parts list, which are available easily and cheaply from these sources:-
http://robvanmeel.nl/?q=content/royal-enfield-co-maintenance-manual
http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Workshop-Manuals/15915

I've got lots of specific tools and pullers, but I've never found the need to buy or make the RE clutch puller as it's easy the way I described it. But they are available:-
http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/tools-engine/17054

Bas when you say axle! Do you mean the gearbox main shaft? When you take the center nut off you'll see it's a straight splined shaft. Hitchcocks also sell a clutch holding tool to enable undoing the nut, but I've never found the need for one of those either!

Since Hitchcocks are the best firm to deal with for RE parts, maybe time to place an order? Ron
Ben-027

Hi Ron,

Yes I meant the gearbox main shaft. Sorry for my bad workshop English.

Based upon your clear photos en some extra explanation by Jan I'm able to remove the clutch. Thanks for that.

I've spend quite some time and money the last months to collect all the missing bits and things and to make them fit my RE. Now everything is complete I started this weekend to disassemble the bike to prepare it for a repaint. Maybe a bit to enthusiastic since I don't have the w/s manual (yet) and have to ask you guys when I'm not sure how to disassemble certain parts.

Sorry for that. I will contact Rob to buy a proper manual!

Cheers,
Bas

Nieuwe pagina 1