Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD pannier bags

Hi All,

I found these Indian made repro pannier bags on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254046942384

Does anyone have experience with this set regarding color, material and fit?
I know there are some threads on this forum how to make the bags do-it-youself style, but I don't have the time, material, tools or skills.

Does anybody have other suggestions about where to buy good lokking repro sets?

Thanks in advance!
Bas

email (option): bas.jorritsma@gmail.com

Re: WD pannier bags

Bas, that looks completely wrong to me!! Frank Brown here makes nice copies, but never take the green ones, they are for postwar Thriumph TRW's, always kahki or brown is wartime.

Another guy who will be making them (he makes the Y straps already) is Bastiaan in Holland, but don't know how far he is with it, email me for his contact details, make sure to replace the ## with "ke" on my email below.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi##.net (think about this!)

Thanks Lex! I've dropped you an email.

Thanks Ron,

I've send Frank an email.

Regards,
Bas

yes Frank Brown is the best
i buy pair from him last years ago - fantastic

email (option): sl_hussein@yahoo.com

And I bought a pair from Frank in 2004. They have had lots of use since then and are still good. Quality jobs.

Hi Bas

Henk has just added my instructions to the technical section on how to make your own panniers. The process is very simple, straight forward and a fraction of the cost compared to buying a set. you can visit the page here.

http://www.wdbsa.nl/images/Panniers.pdf

you can email me for any additional questions if these are unclear.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Hi Guys,

Lex say's.....

"but never take the green ones, they are for postwar Thriumph TRW's, always kahki or brown is wartime."

Could someone please confirm this for wartime.
I'm un-aware if this is true.....ummmm?

Many thanks,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

Thanks Stuart!

R, Bas

Paul Eastwood
Hi Guys,

Lex say's.....

"but never take the green ones, they are for postwar Thriumph TRW's, always kahki or brown is wartime."

Could someone please confirm this for wartime.
I'm un-aware if this is true.....ummmm?

Many thanks,
Paul
Well, it's difficult to prove, and we've had this discussion before on here, but I'm fairly sure it was like I stated, for various reasons,

1; I was in the UK when a big stash of green bags had just come in from Canada, at the Birmingham Wholesalers MCE (Motor Cycle Equipment), and there were about a thousand pairs, with the Y straps, all stacked against the wall, they had postwar manufacturing lables, with a TRW number, so like Canadian uniforms, it was green instead of khaki, to differiate them from the Brits. This was in the early 80's and wish I had a camera (like we have now), back then.

2; the only NOS or used original bags I have ever seen were/are all khaki or brown, in all sorts of shades (I've seen hundreds and own a couple)

Show me a nice WW2 dated set of green ones, and I'll never mention it again.

Black and white pictures cannot be used reliably to judge the colour.

My 2p,

Lex

Thanks Lex for your reply.
An interesting subject.

Regards,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

Back in the mid 80's I purchased a set of panier bags for my M20 from the UK, C & D Autos I think, and they were green, probably they are what I purchased. Came with the Y straps and really well made, they are still going strong. Looking a shade of greeny/ brown now though. Being in Western Australia in those pre internet days it was generally advertising in classic bike magazines that you found your parts, usually with out pictures to see what you were getting.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

I have at least 2 pairs of the green bags and always considered them to be post war TRW. But beggars can't be choosers and they fade down to a nearly Khaki colour over time. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Pannier bags are canvas and '37 pattern webbing (the large pack is '08 actually !) are erm...webbing.

A number of more recent replicas have featured straps made from period-dated webbing.

ebay item no 292934640213, possibly 1941 dated pannier bags, seller also has the Y straps on separate listing.

If these are the green TRW bags that we spoke about recently, then some of the webbing is dated 1941? Ron

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-MOTORCYCLE-DISPATCH-RIDERS-PANNIER-BAGS-POSSIBLY-1941-DATED/292934640213?hash=item443443e255:g:kBAAAOSwW~JcTIMT:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Interesting, but I think they are used repro ones, there's no metal clips on the bottom. and the brown/khaki ones I have are not dated like that at all, only on the inside.

But who knows, I don't think any of the repro makers have the metal clips, I spoke to Steve from Pegasus Militaria about it, as he was going to make the bags, and he said he had the tooling to make the clips, but no time to do them!

Just looked at the Y straps, and they are also repro. I even know who made them!

Cheers,

Lex

OK, got some additional info from Bastiaan, (who makes very nice repro Y straps btw.) He says that the dated webbing is from "L" straps, and the stitching is also the wrong type and material.

My post at 5.29pm 26/1/2019 was in reply to a post which has now been removed. I should have waited for an hour before replying to it. :disappointed:

Naughty when that happens Rik! It makes it look like you're talking to yourself. But your post confirms what Lex and I think. Wartime dated webbing used. Ron

Yes, was wondering about that!!!

But good there's a way to identify this stuff, after 20 years of repro's not many people will know anymore.

Cheers,

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1