Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Disturbing solderless nipples on cables

I'm making up some spare cables & want to test fit them. The bike's fitted with the BSA solderless nipples on the handlebar levers & I've always been a bit wary of disturbing these once they're set up. Any opinions on whether it's OK to disturb the cables already on the bike so I can test fit the new ones?

Re: Disturbing solderless nipples on cables

You're always running a risk with screw-clamp nipples.My feeling on any safety-critical application is that I'd have a new length of inner ready to run through for re-assembly. For £1 or so worth of material, you can be sure that it's up to spec.

Thanks Rik
What I'm doing now is making up a couple of spare inners, & the best way to get them right is to test fit them. But this involves temporarily removing the ones that are on now. I've always been wary of disturbing the cables once they're set up. Do you or anyone else think it's OK to do this?

I've got those same BSA levers and when I use my cable oiler each year, I rather disconnect them from the business end than the lever end. I always carry spare cables and I always tin the ends of the inner's on these to stop fraying and give me a chance to remove and refit them if I have to.

The one thing about these cables is, that it doesn't matter if the inner is a bit too long. If it was me, I'd leave them connected to the levers and stretch them out as straight as poss for measuring with a tailors tape. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year to you all.

I think it's time I made a spare set.
What type and where is the best place to purchase all the fittings, cable inners and outers please?

Many thanks,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

Ron
Thanks for the advice. I'd ended up doing pretty much what you suggested- measuring the inner length with the cables still fitted.
As you say, the exact length of the inner isn't at all critical but I try to get the tinned area of the cable as precise as possible. I figure this helps with reducing stress close to the nipple.

Nieuwe pagina 1