Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ariel W/NG at War

Photographs found with Google from websites, forums, groups.
Thanks to those who found them and posted for the first time.

to be continue...

email (option): m606paz@yahoo.com.ar

Re: Ariel W/NG at War

to be continue...

Very nice pictures, look forward to the next instalment.....:+1:

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

:+1:

To be continued...

Luis, your first photograph alongside the Austin K5 G/S Air Portable (I've never seen a photo of one of those before, so thank you :-) ) seems to have been in service with the Belgian 1031 General Transport Company as part of 21st Army Group.

http://www.ablhistoryforum.be/viewtopic.php?t=1917

This suggests that RASC GT companies might be possible users of the W/NG. It was certainly so that the faster OHV machines were thought more necessary for convoy outriding as they were constantly overtaking.

Hi Rik
Maybe some pictures are unpublished for this forum and others known and probably commented.
Thanks, very interesting what you are saying.

More pics

More pics

Luis your first picture today is a Canadian bike. They had a habit of adding mirrors and lights well before the Mods of the 60's thought they had invented it. I suspect it was for celebration and parade purposes. But they had an even stranger habit of riding on a piece of Sorbo rubber strapped to the tank top which you can also see in that picture. This guy on a Norton illustrates the weird behavior. I've got another picture somewhere of a Canadian riding on the tank top during a victory parade with two girls sat on the two proper saddles??? One way of pulling the birds I suppose. Ron

Scan-20190128-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron
I did not know what you are saying!
What an interesting and curious way to fill the seats!
Softer?
Regards

Here's another guy riding on his tank. I expect it was their way of adopting the Harley riding position, and I've read that it was not condoned by the authorities. In fact it was actively discouraged. But who was going to accost a signalman delivering urgent messages. Ron

Scan-20190131-3

Probably based on growing up on the prairies using western saddles on horseback and not being influenced by the TT races !

They must've been brave as hell, but it seems like a diabolical position to safely control a motorcycle from.

hi Luis,
Any chance you could send me a high res copy of the image with the tulips on the tank? Would be much appreciated

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Cas Vanderwoude
hi Luis,
Any chance you could send me a high res copy of the image with the tulips on the tank? Would be much appreciated
Only low resolution i have... sorry

Apart from the big rubber saddle on the tank, it also appears to have foot-boards......Without the boards? Ron

The horn is missing or moved, it also has a throttle on the left hand side of the handle bar.

Maybe a nod to riding an 'Indian' Ron

More pics

Would that be a Mk IX Spitfire in the background with clipped wings to respond to the introduction of the FW190s?

The W/NG looks to be an early model with the early carrier and note the air cleaner and what appears to be an extended rear mudguard.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

By the look of it, mudflaps front and rear and an India office type air filter. Ron

A-1937-India-Office-MCS-CEA-WD16-H-Air-Filter

Another couple of RAF pictures. Ron
IMG-3065
photo

Delighted to see one of the machines displaying an RAF roundel on the tank. Not many photos of the W/NG with the steel mag chain cover as opposed to the alloy cover but several more seem to have the all steel primary chaincase covers as opposed to the alloy and steel covers.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Thanks for the pics Rn!

Mores pics

Even the Yanks used them.:wink: Ron

Ron Pier
Even the Yanks used them.:wink: Ron
It seems that it was. The photos do not lie!

More pics

Regards

Over the years I collected many more period images of WNG's...here are some of them...

email (option): mr.bighealey@hotmail.com

Plus one more....an early W/NG

email (option): mr.bighealey@hotmail.com

As I mentioned on the FB post, the blanking plate over the unusued rear lamp aperture suggests an undelivered French contract machine. The earlier photo of a French bike clearly shows an opening on the left of the number plate....the off-side in France.

Thank you Maarten for the pics! Great!

That last picture is interesting, the "40" serial on the tank seems to be on a roundish shaped Signals? backing, could it be an Anti Aircraft Command machine, its said they used an ellipse shaped serial.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1