The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No compression after each run

Hi all.

First of all. Happy christmas. 😊

I did a small round of the bsa today just because the weather is nice. After the complete restoration i am now busy with solving all the issues so i can start my events next year safe and sound.
After the first warm up of the engine and follow the manual torque sequence and torque settings i keep having loose headbolts.

Today was my 4th longer run and the issue keeps returning. I start the bsa in 1 kick. I drive around and when all is warm i see some liquid sputter on my oil tank comming from between the head. (I had this each run and had to retorque all bolts) but today i hear each engine turn air blowing and suddenly the power was gone and then i could only still drive 10mph. Also some liquids are pushed out and leaking from the front and rear between head and cilinder and the headbolts are loose again. Whats going on 😣

Re: No compression after each run

I'm guessing you have a replica composite head gasket of the original type...These sorts of problems are not unusual with one of those fitted...I wouldn't recommend you ride the bike at all until this problem is resolved as a leaking head gasket can produce extreme weakness of the mixture when the engine is running and as a consequence severe overheating...

Get hold of solid copper head gasket and fit that..Torque down to 28-30ft/lbs. 'TT John' from this forum has them for sale I believe...

That will solve any head gasket issues and the solid gasket will only have to be torqued up on initial fitting and once more after you have done a few miles...

The modern replica 'composite' head gaskets are both unpredictable and unreliable...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you. I will remove the which will prevent me from driving further. I will search for the TT john for the head gasket

Thanks again

Thank you. I will remove the head which will prevent me from driving further. I will search for the TT john for the head gasket

Thanks again

John's email if you haven't already found it.

Jomichael@aol.com

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron.

The chap has been in touch, and he's now been sorted.

Regards TTJohn Happy new year.

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

If you're using new bolts they maybe to long, make sure they're tightening the head not tightening up on the bottom of their holes

email (option): michaelggilbert@btinternet.com

Thanks for your input, but bottom of hole is not always possible right? Since they go right trough the head and they stick out between the cool ribs on the underside. I have ordered a new headgasket of better quality and will test that.

Thanks

Nieuwe pagina 1