Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tyres for my M20

Hi All,
Looking for recommendations of both tyre and supplier. I wil be riding this regularly to work in thw summmer months only.
Based in Norfolk, UK.
Cheer
Scott

email (option): larkesrATgmail.com

Re: Tyres for my M20

I ride on Avon M26 tires. These might not look period correct but they are great riders' tires especially in the wet.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

If you go for the 350-19's which most guys seem too, including me. Have a look at this range from 'Vintage Tyres'
https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres/?type=tyres&diameter=59&width=75&search=1

I've heard good reports from guys who have fitted the 'Ensign Universal' for a real block tread look.

But I've used the 'Dunlop K70' and the 'Mitas H-02' lots of times with no problems. I am however a cautious rider in the wet!

I've found that the K70 on the rear wears a bit to quickly for my liking, and prefer the 'Cheng Shin' which has exactly the same tread pattern.
https://www.wheelhousetyres.co.uk/3-50-19-57n-cheng-shin-c180-universal.html

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

cheng shin block tread are visually similiar to wartime type block tyres are as the indian ones, the indian ones though are only good for about 8000 miles, it depends on how much you ride, havent had any trouble with the cheap end ones.

8000 miles out of any rear tyre!! I wish!! But I don't run mine down to the legal limit, as then they are more susceptible to punctures.
Ron

Hi Ron,
So if I read this right, you are advocating 3.50 back AND front?
regards
Scott

email (option): larkesrATgmaildotcom

Also, check with supplier for the correct tyre presures. I don't know about other brands but Avon must be inflated to a hgher pressure than the originals due to the charachteristics of modern 'rubber'.

Yes Scott. Originally a lot of these bikes used 325 x 19 at both ends, but with more choice for the 350's these days, it's the size for all but the purists I believe. Plus the fact that as it was explained to me by a tyre guy, the modern softer tyres are physically not much bigger than a 325 anyway.

The 'universal' bit means you can use them on front or rear as opposed to a 'ribbed' only on the front.

Ron

PS, as Dean says the tyre pressures given for the hard as a piece of 4 x 2 tyres back then don't apply any more. I tend to run with 28F and 30R.

Didn't M20s originally run 3.25 front, 3.50 rear ? The later records are noted to the effect that 3.25 was to be fitted front and rear but this seems to have been for reasons of economy. Putting a wider tyre on the front won't make the steering more precise. The 3.25 on the front of my 16H is wider than the 90/90 on the front of my Commando. Personally, I like the narrow-tyred feel.

My WM20 riders handbook quotes 325x19 for both front(19 psi) and rear(28 psi). But I only have one handbook so it's possible that there were 350's used at some point. However I was being general, more to do with availability than the minimal steering effect or increase in road grip between a 325 and 350.

I have found that even the modern 350 tyres are still too wide for some models and can interfere with mudguards, chainguards etc and I've had to seek 325 from the limited makes available. But no such problem with an M20.......You can even get away with 400 x 19....But it's not worth the effort. Ron

I use 350 both ends...I think the M20 did have a 325 front originally but the bigger tyre looks less 'lost' in the wide(ish) M20 front mudguard...

The 350 certainly won't be quite as good in sand or soft going off road...However, there isn't that much difference and a 21" off road tyre on a trials bike would be 275 or possibly 300, so neither the 325 or the 350 would be optimum choice for that purpose...

I do like to ride off road a bit with my M20 but I'm not entering trials or doing anything too adventurous so I generally manage with the 350...Best to avoid trying to ride fast through soft sand or mud though!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Has anyone tried Heidenau tyres? I'm thinking of putting one of these on the back next time round.

Been using Heidenau K34 and K44 tyres for years on all my bikes. I would recommend them.
Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Pete C
Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks for all the info gents,
I have plumbed for the Cheng Shin on the back and a Dunlop K70 on the front.
Seems a popular choice, building the wheels over the holidays, hopefully posting picture of the old girl "back on her feet" in the new year.
Then its engine build time :)
Happy Christmas/holidays all

Scott

email (option): larkesrATgmaildotcom

Nieuwe pagina 1