Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inner tube valve thread...

Does anyone know the thread used on the inner tube valve, the thread that holds it to the rim?...At first sight it looks like it may be 5/16" x 32 tpi Model Engineers thread...(this was also used in instruments etc., not just in model engineering...)...

Any thoughts?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Inner tube valve thread...

Admit it Ian, you are a bit bored today:smiley:

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

:sunglasses: Ha, Ha, far from it...I want to make a few of the old style fasteners that hold the valve in place...Round brass, straight cut knurled edge etc...I'm not keen on the nuts fitted to modern tubes...Ian

An internet search suggests that it was standardised by Schrader and is a Unified Special - https://www.engineering-supplies.com/product/12137/a-0-307x32-uns-hss-ground-thread-tap-schrader-valve-tap-/

At that money, I can imagine that you won't be lending the tap out ! :-)

32TPI sounds right. I remember that Jan made some from I sample I sent him. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the info.

I can get a carbon steel tap for £15 which may be adequate for tapping into brass...However, first it's going to be a trawl through the internet to try and find a better deal on a HSS item...

I have many, many taps and dies but I never quite seem to have them all...I've needed another unusual one in the last month...27 tpi ANF (for a Triumph oil pressure switch blanking plug)...Ian

I seem to remember a 32tpi among a load of taps and dies that I acquired off a mate. I'll look through them later when I get back from Kempton Park. Ron

As Ron explained already, I've made a pair of these nuts for my WD/C, and I used a 5/16 32TPI ME tap. A few tenths of a millimeter too large I admit, but nobody will ever notice... :innocent:

Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

hello all
isn't it this you are looking for??
https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/schrader-valve-taps

email (option): leger-arnaud@wanadoo.fr

.307! How did they come up with that size? 5.5 'thou' down on 5/16":confused: Ron

PS. Just checked through my 32 tpi taps. All I have is .45" 1/4" .22474" and another small 5 figure size that I can't read. Some strange sizes, obviously for special jobs by a precision engineering firm?? Ron

Wouldn't it be quite easy just to make a tap for that Ian?
5/16 silver steel, turn down and thread it male, grind 3 flutes into it and then cherry red heat to quench in oil.
I have done it many times to get an odd thread sorted and it works really well. A 55 degree point on a small hss tool is all that required for the screw cut.

Now it's not that I am frugal, I just like solving puzzles like that as an old friend says, if the sub is stuck on the bottom, failure is not an option.
Darren

email (option): D Wrudd at Lineone dot Net

Nieuwe pagina 1