Author
Comment
Wheel ID please

Hello, does someone recognize this wheel? it looks like it is painted in KG3

SAM-2005

Thanks in advance! :+1: . Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Re: Wheel ID please

It looks like a G3L wheel to me with notches for the speedo drive (first picture)

It also looks like it's been used on a G3 with the three long bolts (second picture). Ron
G3-150
G3-149

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for your suggestions, Ron. But i can see some differences, like the step in the flange near the spokes on yours which is not present on this wheel. Also the 3 bolts are "younged" in the middle, not straight like the G3.

We also showed the wheel to Lex last weekend, and he would have known if it was G3.

It surely comes close but this hub looks a bit heavier than G3, could it be from a bigger Matchless ?

BR Michiel

The other side:

SAM-2007

I see what you mean about the step where the spokes are Michiel. But Matchless had a habit of keep changing things. Are those two dogs/notches on the right side fixed as if for a speedo? The only WW2 bike that I can think of with a rear wheel speedo drive is the G3L. Another clue might be the wheel bearings! Matchless had the stupid idea of fitting the Timken taper type, Upside down. ie the pressed in outer race cup in last. Makes my blood boil just thinking about it....Ridiculous!! Ron

Hi Ron, Thank for the suggestions! It has a normal set up of bearings, can't check the speedo dogs at the moment as the wheel is at my dads place. will ask him.

But I see from your pictures that the G3 has a build up hub, the flanges looks to be made by stampings from sheetsteel whether this hub is made from one piece, with much thicker flanges

Must be something else, maybe older AJS ? and maybe the G3 is derived from it??

There were a lot of 'impressed' AJS and I have the parts list that covers them (non illustrated) However the part number for the rear wheel bearing hollow tube assembly is the same as Matchless, #11905. So unless your wheel has this type....I think we can safely discount AMC. Ron
scan0016
AJ

It looks like factory finish KG No.3 to me which would rule out any of the truly 'impressed' machines...The spindle looks erm, spindly enough to be Matchless.

Has the hub perhaps been got-at / modified by Johnny Foreigner, possibly to fit something else ?

Some AJS's seem to have been painted in service colour, as this well known picture of a Giant on his AJS would indicate. Ron
img456

It's a much butchered G3 wheel.

Ron,those wheel bearing you hate so much are in my 1938 500, and are the ones fitted when I got it 55 yrs ago, probably original.

properly adjusted and greased they should last for ever. No one knows how to adjust taper bearings any more, and will insist on hammering the bearing in.

Ken I have absolutely nothing against Timken taper bearings or their adjustment which is usually dead easy, I would also agree on the longevity of original bearing! But why on Earth AMC fitted them that way round is a mystery to me.

When you adjust them the normal way. you tighten the adjusting nut against the inner bearing race (cone) and then back off the nut as required (half turn or something)

But once you tighten the awkward castellated adjusting ring onto the Matchless outer race (cup), you have effectively pressed it by interference fit into the hub and it then has to be drifted out for the desired amount of running tolerance.

I'm quite sure if you work on them enough, you will get into a routine....I just don't understand why they saw the need to change a perfectly good, tried and tested system for that idea?

I still love my G3 and G3L but not so keen on working on them. Ron

"But why on Earth AMC fitted them that way round is a mystery to me."

That's Plumstead for you! full of mystery, especially these days.

Nieuwe pagina 1