Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch spring compressor

Hi All
I'm now at the point where I need to assemble the clutch. I've looked at the service sheet and see that the tool in the s/sheet is similar or the same as the Dragonfly offering but I can't see how it allows you to start the thread on the end cap without risking a crossed thread. I've seen a "bridge" type tool on Youtube which does a great job. Does anybody know who makes it. A similar tool is mentioned in an earlier thread on this forum a couple of years ago but no mention of a maker. I don't have the skills to make one , is there anywhere I can buy or borrow one.
I don't like borrowing or lending tools for obvious reasons but would be happy to offer a deposit if there is one out there to borrow for a couple of days.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
John

email (option): jandmmetcalfe@btinternet.com

Re: Clutch spring compressor

John the idea of pressing up against the nut to start the thread is not the best one. My tool is home made. Where abouts are you located? Have you got the special socket for the nut? Maybe email me. Ron
M20-479
M20-480
M20-481

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi, Yes i made a short film of the compressor i make and put it on youtube a few months ago, my very first upload.

Same principle as Ron's tools. It shows how easy it works. No more crossed threads now.

The trick is that the nut is a fraction smaller in diameter then the spring, this makes that you can only push the spring and turn the nut on and off by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INSYcitBaPo

I made a small batch in the past and have material waiting to make a few more.

Have one left at the moment, contact me by email please if you want it, John.

Cheers, Michiel / Netherlands

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

I recall putting mine under the bench drill press with 2 steel pieces and then, the complete basket to assembly.

The advantage of the tool is that the job can be done on the bike..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Michiel W
Hi, Yes i made a short film of the compressor i make and put it on youtube a few months ago, my very first upload.

Same principle as Ron's tools. It shows how easy it works. No more crossed threads now.

The trick is that the nut is a fraction smaller in diameter then the spring, this makes that you can only push the spring and turn the nut on and off by hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INSYcitBaPo

I made a small batch in the past and have material waiting to make a few more.

Have one left at the moment, contact me by email please if you want it, John.

Cheers, Michiel / Netherlands
Michiel, if you are making some more please put me down for one.

Hello All,

These are all lovely methods to get the job done. Admirable. In my encounters with the clutch I found it fairly easy to make a crude compression device. With the clutch on the bike I used a 5/16 x 26 TPI (CEI) threaded rod that went onto the clutch sleeve nut. A suitable spacer and nut made it possible to put the main nut on easily, with a hook wrench after it was started. This is the method we can see in the manuals of the time. I think there's an illustration of it in the technical section.

Off the bike I placed the clutch basket carefully in a vice (tightened only on the sturdy protrusion at the rear) and then used a threaded rod which passed through the whole, with suitable washers. Gently tighten down then use the hook wrench.

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

I took the clutch apart and re-mounted it again numerous times before I finally realized what was wrong with mine.
I found, just like Allan describes, that a simple tool with a washer on a bolt with a nut and a hook-wrench would suffice.

I did however buy my simple compression tool from draganfly, and after a while hade a friend make me a socket I order for me to spare my knuckles with the hook-wretch.

/Simon

Hi Michiel,

Great video. Please put me on the list for the next batch.

Thanks and regards,

Ramon 😎😎

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Hi All
Just a quick note to thank everybody for your help sorting things out. I think its the forum at its best.
Special thanks to Ron and Michael for help with advice re the tools.
Just the electrics to go now!!
Thanks again all.
John

email (option): jandmmetcalfe@btinternet.com

In addition to their convenience, I think the tools that compress the spring only save a lot of wear on the centre nut. Any of these I've seen are made of such a soft material you could almost call them sacrificial, presumably to save wear on the clutch centre thread. When using the "official" tool the spring forces the soft & hard materials together resulting in wear on brand new parts.

Nieuwe pagina 1