The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James ML decals

Hi everyone,

I was looking on the classictransfers.co.uk website at James ML decals,
but it seems like there are 2 different ones mentioning 'The famous James' and one 'the famous james, model ML'

from what I have found, the one without the 'model ML' text I believe is the right one to go on the tank and rear fender.
Is this the case? What do you guys think?

Kind regards,
Bjorn

email (option): bjorn_schelfaut@hotmail.com

Re: James ML decals

Bjorn here is a tank with original markings.....With measurements. Ron

WP-000406-sizes

005-zps56243238

I copied for mine.

Lightweights-290

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

thanks for the information Ron.
Making progress on the ML, but at a very slow pace..

regards,
Bjorn

Bjorn, do not miss the little detail of the full stop after the C of the C number. JT

Thanks for mentioning that!
Never actually noticed it.

regards,
Bjorn

Hi Ron

Where did you buy the new made decal, with her mixing ratio?

email (option): affe@godmail.dk

Hi Anders
Marcia Derrick at "Classic Transfers" https://classictransfers.co.uk/product/james-8446-51x51mm/

Ron

As Ron mentioned "Classic Transfers" do all the transfers for the James ML.......this includes a generic "C" number in either very thin vynil or low-tack paint mask.....this isn't in the peculiar ML style but can be cut around to suit the model........you can order all the transfers via on-line.......

The military ML had "The Famous James" transfer on the fuel tank top (as shown by Ron on the image of the original tank) and another one on the rear mudguard 6 & 1/2" inches up from the tip of the 'guard and 1" inch above the MCT1 tail light..............

The lubrication instructions are as shown on the original tank image.......note that Classic Transfers make two versions, one being post-war and incorrect for wartime..........

No other transfers were applied to military machines...........

The "Famous James" transfer with "Model ML" beneath it is post-war, used on the rear mudguard of civvy machines between 1945 and 48 when ML production ceased.........

This decal, they've listed as being for james ml, is that wrong?

https://classictransfers.co.uk/product/james-8169lc-102x9mm/

email (option): affe@godmail.dk

Anders, this decal which states "War Grade Production" was applied to James Autocycles for the very limited wartime civilian market (key workers, etc).........it didn't feature on the military ML...........

Perhaps I should get one Steve? Although mine is a 39 model fitted with the 'Villiers Junior' engine and not the more usual 'Villiers Junior Deluxe' (As fitted to Welbikes).

I gather that these Autocycles were nicknamed 'Midwifes Bikes' Although mine is 'Air Raid Precaution':wink: "Put that light out!" Ron:slightly_smiling_face:
DSCF1546
DSCF1548

Hi all,

Thanks for this information.
Now I can get the right ones without having to worry I'm getting the wrong ones.

regards,
Bjorn

I just applied the James decals to the ML, same as my NOS tank, pictured above (saving that tank for another ML) but please be carefull, the transfers won't glue to the tank or other painted parts when they are matte painted, best is to first spray a glossy varnish, and then apply the transfer, and then spray with matte varnish, that will be the safest, or it will fall off eventually.

I did not use the war product transfer in the end.

After applying the transfer on the matte paint tank.

It just fell off! so sprayed a glossy rectangular.

Much better!

Still have to put the matte varnish over it.

Strangely the James script transfers did not have this problem.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net (think about this!)

Lex, I had the same problem on my 1st ML......so I changed the paint to a semi-gloss, applied the transfers and then sprayed a fuel-resistant matt sealer over everything........

Have you also applied "The Famous James" transfer to the rear mudguard......? It sits just above the MCT1 tail light, below which is the contract plate.........

Congratulations on getting an ML or two.......last time we spoke you didn't have one ! What are your frame and engine numbers if you don't mind me asking as I have a register of WD survivors....? Thanks Lex......

Steve,

I think you will already have these numbers, but here they are again with the saddle downtube number added, it's the last of the last contract, and I know, it should be green!

Frame number James: ML8439
Frame saddle tube: 6920
Engine number james: AAA27776A
C number James: C5856039
Contract: S7113 1944

Cheers,

Lex

Lex, thanks very much for those details.......that's a very nice ML restoration you have there !

Aside from the original colour being olive drab (it's a very late example), it's worth mentioning that the entire Villiers 9D engine unit was spray-painted at the James factory once complete prior to fitting in the frame.......this included the cylinder barrel and head together with the entire carburettor assembly........dull plated items included most nuts and bolts, the rear wheel sprocket, the front brake rod, handlebar control levers, gear-change lever and the front exhaust pipes plus securing notched rings......

Detail items for the military James that are exceptionally difficult to find today include the decompressor lever assembly for the handlebars (a pig to fit) together with the Lucas light-switch that is unique to the ML........the latter is similar to the usual 4-position WD switch but has the switch positions marked "Off, T, H, L" instead of the usual "Off, T, L, H"......apart from this the primary difference underneath is the central rotor that lifts the pair of contact arms as necessary.....the switch also doesn't carry the "Lucas" name on the front......

Thanks Steve, it was just a quicky, nothing sandblasted, just degreased, sanded and painted, and some incorrect parts replaced, it will do for now.

Has a nice UK cherished number that we will sell off it one day, and then apply for a Dutch number.

Have all the hard to find bits also for the second one, except the petrol cap. (and missing frame, engine and front wheel….)

Cheers,

Lex

Nieuwe pagina 1