Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any thoughts on tackling DVLA?

Hoping for a bit of advice. DVLA can be tricky!
Brief history - civilian M20 put into shed around 1980 by a friend. 2 years ago he wanted to get rid of it and so I took on the project which is now nearly complete. No paperwork with the bike. Bike is on a G plate - so 1968 which is odd and exists on DVLA website as a 500 cc BSA. Engine is not original as fitted in 1948 but is a BSA M20. Originally bike was supplied to Earnshaw Motorcycles in March 1948 so why a G plate I have no idea. DVLA are being a bit of a pain wanting all sorts of information and photos. My basic question is would it be worth trying for an age related plate and if so what is the best way to do this? Also, why a G plate. Could this be a built up machine dating from around 1968? If so then undoubtedly the DVLA will not issue a different registration. Absolutely any thoughts any of you may have would be very welcome!

Re: Any thoughts on tackling DVLA?

What is the prefix on the frame number?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello Mike,
I'm no expert when it these things but...The DVLA apart from a few basic details only knows what you tell them thus a "tidy" history helps. I've reclaimed 1 orinigal number (1960 G12CSR) and got an age related number (1941 G3L), the former through a localist club (Britsh owners, Essex) and the later through the VMCC. I imgine that the local club route is no longer available unless it's on the DVLA list but the VMCC certainly is and the whole process was clear and straight forward with their guide to forms etc. This did involve an inspection by a couple blokes but neither knew anything about bikes so we just drank tea and talked about cars for twenty minutes.
As to the identity of your bike it may have picked up a different number over the years, a not uncommon thing to happen, so I suggest you tidy your bike's history and stick to it!
Richard

Mike back in those days When a used vehicle was first registered for what ever reason, like a barn find, demobbed or imported vehicle it was issued with the registration for that year of first registration (as in your case 1968) I know several owners of 1940's military vehicles with a 60's number plate.

Also back then, if a vehicle had it's reg number sold off as a 'Cherished number' it was usually awarded an 'A' plate (1963) And I have had two of these in my collection.

OK, in any of the above circumstances, and as long as the vehicle has a registration certificate, DVLA will change it upon request to an age related plate.....I think the admin fee is just £25. They are duty bound to do this as things have changed and they certainly will not allow a registration number to be applied to a vehicle that is later than when the vehicle was made.

You say that the G number is on the DVLA data base and registered to a 500cc BSA, so it's probably your bike?

I would simply start by writing to, or phoning DVLA telling them that you have acquired the bike, giving them reg and frame number and that the previous owner has lost the documents. You might have to jump through a few hoops by providing rubbings/pictures or even an inspection.....But so what? It's still only £25? for reinstatement of reg document.

If that goes successfully, you can always change it for age related later. Or they might do it all in one go if requested.

I've been through just about every scenario that they have come up with over the last 30 odd years, but they do keep changing things as we are all guilty until proven innocent.

I've also learnt that DVLA employees can all interpret the rules differently, so if you get a negative response, just hang up and phone or write again in the hope that common sense will prevail. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ian
Frame number is YM20 1011. I think this may mean it was actually a 600 cc originally. Now definitely a 500cc though.

Mike Paduano
Hi Ian
Frame number is YM20 1011. I think this may mean it was actually a 600 cc originally. Now definitely a 500cc though.
My '42 m20 has a 'C' suffix for 1965 when it was demobbed i assume as in wartime it would not have had a number plate. So it would be reasonable to display a 1968 plate!

I registered a BSA B25 last year and was told by DVLA it was already on there computer registered in 1981. I didn't want it on a W reg as the bike is 1970 "H" reg, so I sent photos to the VMCC and got a dating letter, a form from DVLA and changed it to H reg. It cost £20 for a replacement logbook. There was a bit of arguing on the phone with the woman from DVLA as she didn't seem to grasp that the bike was made years before it was first registered, so I thought it best to stick to polite letters instead of phone calls.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1