Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Image of bike rider with Thompson machine gun

Dear All

I was emailed this image from a friend whom is doing research on WW2 Hong Kong. Could anyone help identify the bike, the British used the Thompson machine gun during WW2 as I have found one while metal detecting in Hong Kong. The rig for the machine gun looks complex but also a production item not one off.

Regards

Stuart
WW2-Bike

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Re: Image of bike rider with Thompson machine gun

Keep up Stuart!:smiley: :smiley: It's a Norton Model 18. See my thread from a couple of weeks ago. Ron

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1406657&cmd=show

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Stuart, your photo is one of a series taken of the Grenadier Guards at Swanage in the late summer of 1940. A series of publicity photos really, intended to put the fear of God up the Hun and I've no doubt that it achieved its objective as shortly afterwards, they abandoned plans for 'Sealion' and began bombing the industrial cities where formidable fighting machines such as the Model 18 Norton with 'Cow's Udder' silencer were made !

A-Grenadier-Guards-Model-18-003

The most likely source of the Model 18s was a small batch of 7 bikes marked in the Ministry of Supply ledgers as 'already delivered' in August 1940; Presumably built from factory stock, including the obsolete 1938 pattern silencer (which Norton reportedly dropped mid-way through the model year due to customer resistance). They probably had a storeroom full.

I don't believe that I've ever seen a clear photograph of how the mount was fitted to the motorcycle at the rear of the fuel tank, but it's probably reasonable to assume that the rest used parts taken from existing vehicle mounts. Elevation was controlled by a nasty-looking ratchet / detent device positioned just where it would split the rider's difference in the event of a tumble.

Thompsons had been present in France with the BEF, although not in great numbers.

Bedford-52-Div

Dear All

Many thanks for all the valuable information and my apologies for not keeping up with all the threads Ron, to busy preparing the old girl for the Hong Kong classic bike club show on 11th November, a few military vehicles will be turning up as well so Ill take lots of snaps to post.

Regards

Stuart

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Only joking Stuart! Only benefit of being old, is not having to go to work anymore!!

Horror (from this forum) is building a WD Model 18 from all WD and period parts. It would be good to see his progress and whether he intends to replicate that silencer. Ugly as it is.....I would still want to fit one.:slightly_frowning_face: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think I'd rather substitute it for a Manx megaphone!..:laughing: ...No doubt they sacked the style guru that thought that one up....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Norton (who had made their name with rather rorty machinery got drawn into the late 1930s obsession with silence, smoothness and clean lines but were never very good at any of it...One of the books has a sectioned drawing of the '38 silencer and it's quite well thought-out internally. It was fitted to all models, including the Internationals and those machines where the purchaser paid an extra £5 for 'Competition' (Trials) spec with high level exhaust.

The silencers were catalogued in right and left hand versions for the twin-ports - Imagine two of those at high level. Guaranteed to keep a flapper's inner thighs warm :slightly_smiling_face:

Nieuwe pagina 1