Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wet sump spring and ball

I'm working my way through my list of improvements/remedies. Thanks to all who answered my questions & helped previously, in my 'new owner' thread.

The bike wet sumps fully, over a two week period. For the sake of a few £, I bought a ball and spring to at least see if it slows it down.

Removed the old one, but the new one is actually bigger than what has come out + the spring is shorter.
No idea if the one in there is even original, nor if this one is even correct. so I've nothing to go on - other than you good folk.
The sizing of the ball, would mean the seat for it would need to be bigger, which is some serious drifting/punching if that is the case.
Any thoughts?

email (option): zorg.enterprises@googlemail.com

Re: Wet sump spring and ball

If your M20 is from 1940 onward, it should have a 1/4" ball. Previous to that was a 3/16" ball. If the ball fitted was too small, that could be why it wet sumps so quickly. If your new ball is 1/4"? I would just give it a sharp tap with a slim drift to create a good seat, make sure that it's free on it's seat afterwards, and give it try. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron. Engine is a '43, so based on your post, I got the Vernier out:

0.208 - 6.31mm (new ball)
0.203 - 6.10mm (old ball)

Looks like the one in there was too small then. Many thanks, will see how this one goes. :)

Is your vernier accurate? It should be 1/4" (0.25" or 6.35mm)

Did you buy it off a proper BSA dealer......Or off ebay?

Ron??

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Did you buy from Draganfly?

They list this ball kinda awkwardly, its easy to order the wrong ball if you don't look out. Maybe they have fixed it. I have also noticed that things in the spares department seems to a bit upside down for them since Lauren, the person who was in charge of orders appears to have moved on to other things (or maybe she is just on a long holiday). The answers you get if often quite incomprehensible.

/simon

Re-measured, as I must have pressed reset on the vernier when it wasn't fully home.
Ball fitted and no wet sumping. So far. Previously it would be literally over night, so its an improvement for sure. I'll just see how it goes.

I can't remember where I got it from, I think it was ebay, but my purchase history says not. Bit of a mystery!

Nieuwe pagina 1