Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brough Superior SS100 in 70mm

Tonight I’m watching Lawrence of Arabia on 70 mm in a movie theater here in Stockholm. Being a (former) projectionist I’m very exited about this!

/simon

email (option): SimonofSweden

Re: Brough Superior SS100 in 70mm

Great film about a man who was a true enigma.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

looking back i think it was the beginning of that film which first set me on my way to loving motorbikes. The fact that you could be rushing forward with nothing apparently in front of you with the noise of the wind, the sound of the engine etc etc.

As for Lawrence, I thought the film did him justice, although I think much of the most interesting aspects of Lawrence relate to what he did after the war; trying to support the independence of both Arabs and Jews, seeking an ordinary life in the forces among very ordinary people with his bikes; and his last work on fast launches which helped save lives in the war.

Hope you really enjoy the film made even bigger. all best peter

My friends floorboards came from Lawrences billet in Plymouth when it was demolished...Quite an odd claim to fame!...

His description of an early morning ride on his Brough 'Boanerges' (Son of Thunder) is probably the best I've read on the subject of riding motorcycles...From memory I think it's in his book 'The Mint'....

Here's the man himself, he was 46 when he was killed....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

peter beresford
looking back i think it was the beginning of that film which first set me on my way to loving motorbikes. The fact that you could be rushing forward with nothing apparently in front of you with the noise of the wind, the sound of the engine etc etc.

As for Lawrence, I thought the film did him justice, although I think much of the most interesting aspects of Lawrence relate to what he did after the war; trying to support the independence of both Arabs and Jews, seeking an ordinary life in the forces among very ordinary people with his bikes; and his last work on fast launches which helped save lives in the war.

Hope you really enjoy the film made even bigger. all best peter
The beginning of the film made you love motorbikes? Deathwish? :grinning:
But no just kidding, I totally get it. The Brough sounds absolutely lovely in that sequence.

Tremendously long film! It was later cut down for road show-version, television and whatever but this supposedly was the original length version. And it was looong, with a 30 minute intermission.

Totally agree that I would have loved to see about his post war activities, appears to have been an interesting character. And of course more about his bikes.

/simon

Nieuwe pagina 1