Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
framenumber

Hello,

This is the number of my BSA M20 and it is not an original one to say the least. Is it possible to see that this is the "first" number on the frame ? I mean, was the "old "one grind off ?. The registration plate is from 1954, and I bought it in 1968.

Thanks
John

IMG_20180907_180235658

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: framenumber

Hi John

When the frame was new it was round, if a number has been ground off then it normally feels flat, sometimes you can also see file or grinding marks, however you may have to remove the paint to be sure.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

As Rob says, you will have to remove the paint. I have seen frames where the number appears to be correct without a flat. but once you have blasted the frame you can see that the original number has been run over with a brass filler rod, then re stamped. If this is the case you may be able to pick the original number out. Problem is if you do you will have to re register the bike to the new number and this will be a pain in the backside.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Another note, if the odd number matches your V5C registration document it may be best left well alone. It could have been a NOS unstamped frame, and this number was given by a local registering office back in the 60s when your number was issued. Stampings look bold and accurate and appear to be not stamped on a flat surface.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Thanks Tim.,

It does, and it was given in 1954.Back then BSA was a well known name. The dutch ANWB (roadside assistance) had the M21 (for sidecar use).
Allready I wrote to the RDW (DVLA) why they use this particular number.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1