Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton Big4 Rifle mount by sidecar wheel

This came up as a subject some time ago when this drawing was discussed, but I have now found an original photo to prove it.

Its from "The MotorCycle" April 23rd 1942 page 298.

Rob

forum66

big4rifle

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Re: Norton Big4 Rifle mount by sidecar wheel

Thanks Rob, have saved that picture. I see a couple of them from that contract were supplied to the SAS. Some must have been equipped to carry extra weapons. (AMC! Is that 'Army Medical Corp?). Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes but "SAS" as in Small Arms School rather than Special Air Service.

I think "AMC" could be Amalgamated Motor Cycles as in AJS, Matchless & Sunbeam (sold to BSA in 1944)?

Rob

OK on the SAS thing Rob....Silly to use the same initials for two different units though.

Also I immediately thought of Matchless/AJS for AMC, but wondered why they would be supplied with a Norton Big4 .....Unless of course it was as a reference for their Sunbeam badged prototype?

Ron:confused:

It may have been quite a clever ploy to hide the existence of the Special Air Service from the Germans, if they hear a reference to the SAS in the desert they may have assumed a new Small Arms School was being set up in the middle east?

But its probably just a coincidence?

The British medical service was "Royal" from 1898 so it would have been RAMC at that time, so maybe Norton agreed to help AMC with the Sunbeam outfit, there does appear to have been quite a bit of cross company collaboration going on for the war effort?

Rob

I believe that Norton were ordered to send an SWD outfit to AMC for assessment, in much the same way that the factories had to send each other complete machines when the hybrid projects were being investigated.

In terms of rifle clips, the MoS ledgers indicate that the rifle-equipped version was tralled in mid-1939 alongside the body fitted for carriage of a Bren.

Dds_30876_gun_clips_2

Thanks for that Rik, I thought I had seen a similar document which mentioned a big4 contract having a specific number of Bren and Rifle equipped sidecars but I can't find it now, maybe I dreamt it?

Rob

I see the new forum picture also has the rifle mount next to the sidecar wheel, perhaps it was more common than we thought?

Henk, any chance you could send me that one as clear as possible please.

Rob

Me too Henk:+1: Ron

Thanks Henk.

Interestingly if has an extra tall rifle clip on the other side of the sidecar too, maybe there is a matching rifle stock block on both sides?

Rob

Yes thanks Henk. Is that headlamp reflector upside down? I notice that both these outfits are early 39/40. Ron

This latest image is from V3565 (in Australian Service but fortunately still carrying its Chilwell-applied number).

The Ministry of Supply ledgers for this contract of 330 machines states :-

"(i) Bren gun fitments and boxes to 100 machines.

(ii) Rifle fitments and boxes to 230 machines.

NB Fitments Supplied on Embodiment Loan"

Nieuwe pagina 1