Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Triumph factory

I've been discussing early WD Triumphs with Steve S. especially the field stands. Mostly 3SW's and 3HW's had a welded on pivot lug on the frame tube under the saddle. But looking at this factory picture of these Contract C4631 in 1939 and especially the 2-3 bikes in front of the bloke with 3 arms, you can clearly see that the pivot is clamped to the frame. The clamp also applied to subsequent contracts of Coventry built bikes as well as the 5SW's. I assume that the welded lug started at the Warwick plant in 1941?

I've also deduced which is confirmed by Steve, that the clamp bolts are in the vertical plain rather than horizontal like I have on my 3SW......So something else to correct.:relaxed: Ron

Triumph_Factory
3SW_103

I'll be starting on the rivets next:thinking_face:

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Triumph factory

Hi Ron,here are a few pictures of the Triumph 5SW side stand,and a photo of a Canadian army Triumph with the same stand.

Magic! Thanks Steve. That is the first one that I've seen in the flesh so to speak. It's just what I need. :slightly_smiling_face: Ron

Here is the field stand that I got from Steve, fitted to my 5SW. It even has its part number stamped on the top. Before I fitted it, I took the opportunity to get my engineer to make 3 more. Two for friends and one for my 3SW. I'm really chuffed with this, cheers Steve!😊

DSCF1206

The bike is ready for the road, apart from I'm not happy with the clutch. I replaced the three cork plates with modern Surflex plates and new springs and put the book quantity of 3/4 pint of light oil in the chaincase (I used 10W 30, 'coz I have some). No matter what I do, it's impossible to kick through compression without slipping. I put the worn cork plates back as a test and it's 90% better. There is no level plug on these and I've been told to put 1/3 pint of oil and best to use ATF. Anyone got any comments about, plates/oil/capacity? Ron

DSCF1173

Ron, I also had the ATF recommendation, though the Matchless seems happy with any old gloop in the chaincase and I am running a modern clutch plate setup. I would not have thought that oil quantity would make much difference, but using ATF just might. If the new friction plates are thinner than the cork ones, could you fit an extra plate?

Yes Freg, I went to Britbits to buy a set of new steel plates but as they are cut from 2mm plate and the originals are more like 2.3mm, I just bought one to add to the stack under the clutch cover.

I've cleaned the new Surflex plates with petrol and reinstalled them with the extra steel plate and screwed the springs down quite a long way which is gripping the plates ok and not to tight at the handlebar lever. The cover is back on but no oil added yet. I'll add just enough ATF to touch the chain and hope that the centrifuge will keep it off the clutch.

If it's not to my satisfaction, I'll be looking for correct type 4-5mm cork sheeting to refurb my original plates. I've found 3mm and 6mm so far. but one is too thin and the other is too thick. tut!

I wont be using reconstituted or wine bottle cork.

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1