Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
white tip on mudguard

Can anyone advise if the tip of the rear mudguard was painted white when ridden in convoy. I have seen a photo of a bike where the tip of the front guard was painted white, not sure which is correct. what purpose is the white tip on front is for as the rear would have been for following rider during blackout situation to follow.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Re: white tip on mudguard

The white tip on the mudguard was for pedestrians and other vehicles to make them more visible during the blackout. I don't know if it was for convoy work but many civilian vehicles, including bicycles had the white visibility strips.

Ariel

Cxxxx_Ariel_W_NG_ridden_by_Violet_Goozee_March_1944

BSA

AFE993_BSA_WM20_and_female_DR_in_woodland

Matchless

Cxxxx_Matchless_G3_L_riden_by_Brenda_Horness

Norton

C4318471_C4391282_C43906x5_Norton_16_H_in_Caunter_colour_scheme

Couldn't find any RE or Velocette with white sections on their mudguards.....

Hope this helps.

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

I don't think that the lower image of Australians in Syria shows a white 'blackout' edge to the mudguard, but is an extremely rare example of the application of the 'Caunter' disruptive scheme to motorcycles.

Caunter_scheme_adapted

It is labelled as caunter scheme, but as most of them looked identical I thought it may be a white leading edge. The white section of vehicle mudguards would be illuminated by the blackout mask as it deflects the light downward......

The Caunter scheme which always seems a bit pointless on a motorcycle to me, usually involved three different colours, which would include a desert or stone colour for the middle east. Maybe those light patches are 'Stone' Ron

download

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I do believe you are right......

Nieuwe pagina 1