Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Source of Y strap for panniers

I picked up a single 1937 pattern pannier yesterday but it doesn’t have a Y strap. Can anyone provide one or advise where I can source on please?

Thanks

Simon

email (option): Simon@leanmachine.co.uk

Re: Source of Y strap for panniers

Just type Pegasus in the search at the top of the page you will find his email address his name is Frank and all his gear is A1

'37 pattern pannier ?

1937 pattern webbing incorporated the 1908 large pack but the first motorcycle-specific panniers appeared in 1940 and were fitted from 1941. They are made of canvas, not webbing.

If you have an OE motorcycle pannier than Frank can indeed probably supply 'Y' straps.

Hi,
I am making these y straps from original webbing and canvas. Send me an email and I will send some photo's. A set costs 37,50 euro excluding postage.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Rik
'37 pattern pannier ?

1937 pattern webbing incorporated the 1908 large pack but the first motorcycle-specific panniers appeared in 1940 and were fitted from 1941. They are made of canvas, not webbing.

If you have an OE motorcycle pannier than Frank can indeed probably supply 'Y' straps.
Thanks for the information and my apologies for the confusion. It seems I have a 37 pattern large pack which fits well onto the single carrier my WM20 has fitted. The pack has a loop sewn in the centre at the top and it looks like it will take a Y strap nicely and do the job.

I’m struggling to upload photos but I will try to get something to illustrate.

Edit. I hope this works

I have been in touch with Frank and he is sorting something out for me.

Cheers

Simon

I sat down at the sewing machine and made my own panniers and y straps. they are easy to make and the canvas and webbinb is cheap to buy

20180604_145206

20180604_145214

20180604_145229

20180604_145600

email (option): deepsea@vol.net

Very nice Stuart. Can I ask where you sourced the metal fittings? Buckles and strap end piece?

Thanks Simon
The 1 inch buckles I found on the WW2 battlefields or hill tops in Hong Kong. I am a WW2 historian in my spare time and follow in the footsteps of the British, Canadian and Japanese troops. The webbing pieces ruffles and live ordinance or just a few items I find. The brass ends I made myself, i drew up the pattern in auto cad and then cad cam Miller the pieces out, then folded them up and riveted them on to the webbing pieces. I posted the process on the forum you can search under my name or i think the title was "Home made panniers" and the full process is shown with instructions. I'm on my mobile at the minute as I'm traveling to Nanjing. I will send the link later today just in case you cannot locate it.

email (option): Deepsea@vol.net

Nieuwe pagina 1