Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: WM20 Gearbox Problem :)

I replaced the bush on the outer casing due to it being well worn and replaced the quadrant and spring at the same time .Previous to this the kickstart would lock when trying to kick it over , and its still doing it .When pushing the kickstart down it sounds as if the gears are rubbing rather than interlocking ?:confused: .

John B came over and we took the box out.Partially stripped it down and found the main shaft had a good 1/8" play on the end, both bearings are "shot".Could this be the problem of it locking with the shaft tilting over so not letting the gears mesh properly ? . I've pulled it apart and found the layshaft bush is badly damaged too , so on the lookout for a new layshaft bush :disappointed: .

[/URL]

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Dave,

I think you've found the solution to the problems you mention. Gearboxes with a lot of play in the bearings tend to destroy gear teeth, bend shafts, and so on. I think you saved yours just in time!

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Hi Dave,

I wouldn't stop at the lay shaft bush, I'd say that box needs a complete overhaul.

I've seen this wear in the layshaft bush more often. Its just a matter of old age and many miles.
Check both the bushes + the play in the layshaft and the bearings, including the shims etc

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone :+1: .I looked at the Dragonfly website and their parts diagrams to see what parts would be needed washers , shims bush's etc , unfortunately they don't have all of the bits inc the layshaft bush's . Is their anyone that sells a complete overhaul kit or is it a case of ordering the bits individually ?. I do have a NOS main shaft so that can be used as the one in the box has black wear marks in more than one place.The gears look good apart from the gear that engages with the kickstarter quadrant .

I wonder if anyone has a list of all the (small) parts that would be needed to rebuild the box , gears not included, we also found the gear control plunger had seized in its housing .

Thanks again

Dave

I don't know of anyone offering a re-build kit as such but for parts you could try the parts suppliers listed in the BSA links on the web site page.
Where abouts in the world are you located?

Hi Matty

I'll check out the listed suppliers , I'm near Bedale in North Yorkshire

Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1