Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton 16H

Hi
Was out for a ride today and met a guy with a '39 16H, frame number W12087. When I got home I looked in my copy of O&M but couldn't find this number, any info would be great and I can pass it on. Cheers Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Norton 16H

The Norton factory records no longer exist for most WD machines.

There were a number of batches of the W12000 series that were sold directly to Australia but current knowledge still leaves us with a gap between W12042 and W12179.

These could have been delivered as spare frames, or possibly non-WD contracts. Almost nothing is known about Admiralty (RN) contracts, little about RAF and apsects such as Home Office are not documented anywhere. Alexanders the big Scottish dealers seem to have been taking machines to WD specification too and we have no idea who they were for...

The production date would have been early - mid 1940.

An engine bearing this number would perhaps tell us more as they often have a Viewer's mark on if War Department (Army).

Hi Rik

The engine is matching number. What is a viewers mark? I can probably get a photo of the engine if this helps. My e-mail is misleading as I live in New Zealand, so if those bikes went to Australia that would probably fit.

Barry. Indeed, your mail address did confuse !

The British WD bikes at this period had an 'M' with broad arrow and the inspector (or viewer)'s unique number.

Robert Elliott's Australian contract engine (W12315) is stamped 'Disneys' between engine number and bore x stroke. Disney was one of the Australian Norton agents so it is clear that these engines were reserved for them by Norton during the production process. It's not impossible that a batch went to NZ at the same time, via Norton's usual agent and not from WD stocks.

With no Norton records available, the only way to prove this would be documentation from the NZ side.

A photo of engine number would be most useful. There should also be a 'WO' prefix shop build number stamped on the front of the timing chest.

Does the fuel tank have a 'Vokes' cut-away ? The Australian bikes were unusual in having this.

I've just double-checked my records and the engine from W12136 appeared on TrademeNZ a year or so ago - it appeared to have no government or importer stamp...We may never know for sure, but it does seem that a batch came down your way.

Hi Rik Thanks for the info.The tank didn't have the cut away for the air filter, I didn't think that became standard until'43. I will try and get some photos and post them shortly

Norton engine

There doesn't appear to be any other markings on the cases.

The engine stampings look good and untouched. It would seem that these NZ machines had no extra markings.

Later-war Nortons don't seem to have gained Vokes cutaways. They were unique to the 1939 and 1940 Australian deliveries.

I used to have a cutaway 16H tank which had come in from India.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1