Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Red painted oil cap..

Greetings mates,

My M20 has had its oil cap (as well as tool box knob and near side steering adjuster knob) painted red at some time in its life. Was this a wartime practice or was it done later?

Keenan

email (option): kakin@centurytel.net

Re: Red painted oil cap..

At some periods the British Army did apply red paint to certain vehicle parts, split rim wheel nuts on trucks are a famous case. Its more likely to be post war but it could occur at any time that a unit had too much time on its hands and an over keen CO.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

My Ariel wng has a red painted petrol cap. I assumed it was a guide to the less mechanically minded (see that red thing there laddy? That's where you put the funny smelling liquid!)

email (option): andy1reynolds20@yahoo.com

Yes, I knew the reasoning behind it as I had seen it done on WW2 jeeps. Just wasn't sure if it was a wartime practice on WD bikes.

email (option): kakin@centurytel.net

Red fuel caps (and jerry can tops) became common in the 1970s for petrol engines, with yellow for diesel when the two fuels were widely in use alongside each other. Diesel engines were quite uncommon in WW2 (Matadors and Scammells ?) so it was not usual to differentiate at that time.

In general with a WW2 vehicle, the less painted embellishment and universal pouches strapped to the forks, the more accurate it will be

Nieuwe pagina 1