Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum Image - RASC Civilian Impressed ?

What's the story here, Henk ?

I assume quite early war with RASC in overalls and Service Dress caps ?

RASC_Civilian_Impressed

My best guesses at the partially obscured numbers all come up with 'not issued' on the RAOC Chilwell lists....Could it be that RASC did issue them then promptly with drew them as the rag-tag selection of bikes weren't worth keeping ? :relaxed:

Re: Forum Image - RASC Civilian Impressed ?

Rik,

That photo was taken in my home town of Adelaide at the Keswick Salvage Yard. Who knows - my WD16H might even be under one of the tarpaulins :) It was after all sold at auction only a couple of miles from Keswick after its service days were over.

The same photo, and the annotated version I've just posted, is in the Australian War Memorial photo collection.

Keswick_Salvage_Yard
account deletion page

email (option): robert.g.elliott@gmail.com

...and just verifying that the bikes were mostly impressed.

On the left of the photo you can make out the AMF army rego number C 86092.

According to the AWM registration records, that number was allocated to an AMF Impressed AJS which, at the end of its service was "Boarded" (disposed of by the Disposal Board) and sold at auction to J N Taylor, an Adelaide new and used motorcycle dealer of the time.

email (option): robert.g.elliott@gmail.com

Hi Rik,

All I have about this photo is this: KESWICK, SA. 20-09-1944

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

This is the problem with photos on Ebay or Pinterest as they loose their identity and provenance on the journey. I have many interesting photos that are only captioned Krad or Russian Mud etc. Sometimes you can be lucky, like the one illustrated here and get further details, you have to just keep looking.....

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Thanks, Rob. I should have noticed that the 'C's were a different colour. I have to say they look like a ropey old set of motorcycles, with after-market mudguards and all sorts. In the UK, they were a little more choosy, I believe and most were one or two years old at most.

Nieuwe pagina 1