Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch operation question - WM20

Another novice question. I have been having lessons and will be taking my bike test fairly soon but I was surprised to learn that it’s ok to skip the clutch on a modern bike to allow slow speed control. Is it ok to slip the clutch on a WM20 for the same reason or will this result in premature wear (as in a car)?

I ask as the gearing is fairly high and it tends to thump along at more than a walking pace unless the clutch is used.

Thanks.

email (option): Simon@leanmachine.co.uk

Re: Clutch operation question - WM20

There will always be occasions where you have to slip the clutch. Slow walking pace in and out of cones whilst your knees grip the tank for instance during training.......Or as quite a lot of us have experience.....The Bayeux parade. :fearful:

But it's best to keep it to a minimum. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Retarding the ignition using the adv/rtd lever when moving at very slow speed can reduce the need to use the clutch as much...

Return to a fully advanced setting immediately once fully on the move...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the replies.

I am taking my test on a 600cc Yamaha loaned by the trainer so not too much clutch slip needed for that. I gave the WM20 a run around the garden earlier and a combination of better a/r adjustment and a little clutch control made it more civilised and less frantic.

Slowly learning!

email (option): Simon@leanmachine.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1