Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Ardennes

I've recently visited La Roche-en-Ardennes as my Uncle was a DR with the Signals Regiment and during January 1945 he was attached to the 51st Highland Division fighting in the Ardennes. On the 11th January 1945 he was travelling in a jeep a few kms from La Roch-en-Ardennes and hit a land mine killing the driver and seriously injuring my Uncle. Fortunately he survived and was sent back on a hospital ship to the UK. During my investigations of his travels, I have found photos he took showing the liberation of a town, on one photo a street sign or town square can be seen, "Place Paul Casimir-Perier" Does anyone know where this town square may be located?

Thanks

Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Re: The Ardennes

Casimir-Perier was a French 19th Century politician. I'm not aware that he had any connection to Belgium or the Ardennes region...Presumably a French town ? Any chance of posting the photo ?

Rik, can I mail you a copy to post on the forum? If so let me have your e-mail address.

Thanks

Pete

There is a "rue Paul Casimir-Perier" in Fecamp if it helps.

French have an annoying habit of changing street names.

Fecamp in Normandy would be logical for the era.

http://boutmenteux.net/forums/upg/1178825203/gallery_36_38_76444.jpg

wiki also comes up with a Belgian connection in the 1800s

another view

http://boutmenteux.net/forums/upg/1178825203/gallery_271_38_6455.jpg

He was a famous guy...There are probably many locations named after him...Looking at Fecamp nearly every street is named after someone...Merde!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Same all over till they fall out of favour,then its another ones turn.

This is Pete's photograph.

The building looks to be pale brick with limestone blocks above...

liberation_photos1_1
Elizabeth Bishop poems

There is a 'Place Casimir-Perier in Troyes but it doesn't really fit...There is a 'Rue Casimir-Perrier' in Le Havre, where 51st Div took part in the liberation, but generally the older buildings in Havre are grander than this one...

I don't think that it's St Valery-en-Caux....His unit war diary is probably going to provide the best clues...I can't help thinking this is Northern France though.

There was a Place Casimir Perier in Pont sur Seine. Not sure if that's the same place though...

Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

That amount of brick in the construction certainly N France/Flanders style. But my bet is Troyes which is Champagne-Ardennes region and has had a lot of new building gone on since 1945.

If you search google images "Troyes 1944" there is a lot of rubble to be seen.

Certainly it would fit the area looked for.

I almost wonder, Ken if that newish looking brickwork might be post-WW1 repairs to an earlier structure ? But then location and why were 51st Div there with a Naval Officer and presumably a Derbyshire Yeomanry man with his beret (if he's 51 Div).

Somewhere between Arras and the Marne ? Did they go up that way ?

very possible Rik, plus a lot of post 1919 reconstruction would have been quite hasty.

Building looks a bit industrial to me, probably not surviving today fro one reason or another.

Regimental Diary ought to help?

Did the navy use those shoulder badges? Wonder if he was US?

Rik

Ive just found two more photos which look as they are from the same day, I have sent them to your e-mail as before, can you add these also?

Pete

Wonderful photos, Pete, and including a Morris Light Reconnaissance car...the building carries an 'RF' crest so no doubt that it's in France...Town Hall or school ? The balustrade makes me think more of Normandy again....

What unit was your uncle actually in ?

Liberation_photo_2

Liberation_photo_3

He was a DR Corporal with the Royal Corps of Signals landing on D.Day with the 51st Highland Division and somewhere along the way he wasn't far from the American as I have photos of them also. He was riding a Norton 16h in one photo so not sure if that was his regular ride. When he was injured in the Ardennes the blast was so severe his ankle was shattered and most of his teeth were blown from his mouth. Fortunately, a local family near La Roche-en-Ardennes came across him, nursed him until he was hospitalised, so thankful was he that he kept in contact with the family for years after the war. I did enquiry after the family during my visit but to no avail.

Pete, He could have been attached to Divisional HQ but perhaps more likely, seeing the Recce car in these photos...and wondering if the chap killed in Belgium was with the Derbyshire Yeomanry, perhaps whether he was attached to them ? Do any of the vehicle photos show a numerical 'Arm of Service' serial number ? This would identify his unit more accurately. (I'd love to see a photo of the Norton by the way :relaxed: )

I think that building in the last photos is not built of brick but of some kind of stone setts, like cobbles or beach stones? Some material that's very local to it?

Nieuwe pagina 1