The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum picture

Hi all, another great forum picture.
But hard to identify the bikes.
The one one the right is a Rudge, I would say. And on the left could be a BSA with the horn on top of the forks.
But what about the rest ?

Re: Forum picture

The second from the left is an Enfield.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

That makes sense, Henk, as I don't see a cush drive on the primairy chaincase.

Nr 4 from left cold be a Tiumph twin (...?)

Yes Henk second from left is a RE WD/C ( chrnometric position) and third from the right is a WD/CO, with front "non ribbed" mudguard think very late war picture as Royal enfield use this mudguard for their last contract ( 1944), but a greatpicture full of lovely bikes!!

email (option): leger-arnaud@wanadoo.fr

Good spot Arnaud! I had seen the WD/C, but I didn't notice the WD/CO! :mag_right:

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

Another great picture. Are the one in the middle and second from right civilian bikes? The tank paint looks non military.

Interesting to see the different levels of “fit” with the DR helmets. Some look too big and some too small!

Finally, it seems odd that one has no headlight.

email (option): Simon@leanmachine.co.uk

Where is Ron Pier now we need him ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well I'm not doing any better than the other suggestions. However! Arnaud thinks that the 3rd bike from the left is a late Royal Enfield WD/CO and Jan agrees. But I don't think it is. As I zoom in to the grainy picture, I think I can see, a chrome rim, front number plate, combination levers, very flat handlebar, a lone "Bakelite"? fork damper knob and a central mudguard support......My money's on AJS. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

ARRGGGHHH!:zipper_mouth_face: Come back all I said about Arnaud's suggestion. He said 3rd from right not 3rd from left:flushed:

Mind you I can't see any side check springs on that bike and the speedo is in the WD/C position?

A great big shepherds crook will now drag me off the stage! Ron

They are Home Guard despatch riders, possibly in Leicester, I read somewhere the government distributed to them Army motorcycles at the rate of two per Battalion, other machines used belonged to the individual Home Guardsmen.

They commonly had Enfields, Ariels and telefork G3Ls issued.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Mike
Hi all, another great forum picture.
But hard to identify the bikes.
The one one the right is a Rudge, I would say. And on the left could be a BSA with the horn on top of the forks.
But what about the rest ?
Bike on the left with horn on handle bars is not a BSA, not with a left hand exhaust pipe and from the angle it looks rather like a V transverse twin

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Trevor, I was thinking of a twin port BSA single. But i'm not sure.

The third bike from left could be a Scott, two stroke ?

If this picture was taken at the same place it could be the machine in the middle?

Does anyone know Leicester Castle Park who could confirm these locations?

Rob

Image1

As Trevor says, the bike on the left looks like a transverse vee, even down to the forward-facing circular cover. It's beaten me. I could only think of the AJS S3 and the Panthette and the exhaust line is neither of those. 'JF' is a Leicestershire registration series that ran from 1930 to 1935 so it doesn't help much.

I thought that tank badge was Francis-Barnett and there are hints of Velocette GTP about the styling. Did either of those make any obscure v-twins ?

I think the first suggestion of the bike on the left as being BSA is correct. Something like a 1934 twin port. Ron

1934_w10

Rob Miller
If this picture was taken at the same place it could be the machine in the middle?

Does anyone know Leicester Castle Park who could confirm these locations?

Rob

Image1
That forum photo is taken in Bradegate 22-4-1944.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

The picture I posted appears to be Bradgate Park as well.

Rob

Looks as if some of the bikes from the forum picture also appear in this photograph:

The first one here is a Triumph,then a Rudge. First and second from right in the forum picture I'd say...

Jan

The Triumph is a Tiger 90. Very nice. Probably heading towards 20 grand today. Ron

Ron Pier
I think the first suggestion of the bike on the left as being BSA is correct. Something like a 1934 twin port. Ron

1934_w10
I can see where you are coming from, ut that pipe starts way too far outboard of the engine to be a twin port anything BSA.
Got a lot of Twin port stuff and the ports are just about on the center line of the down tube, the 30's was a age of symetric designs.
It has to be a parallel twin with the exhaust at the front left edge of the cylinder or a transverse V.
You can fairly clearly see a cooling ring or clamping ring.
As all BSA'a had push in pipes, the exhaust ports were all fairly close to the head is a tight V

SO if it is a twin port something then it needs to be one with a long stub protruding a long way from the engine.
I know very little about other marques so have no idea what a twin port Rudge head would look like.

At first I thought that there was an Oval BSA badge / decal / paint on the tank but at closer look it appears to be substantially too long for the simple BSA logo of the time.

As always more than happy to be shown to be wrong.
We learn by making mistakes.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

It's all good fun Trevor! Better than a crossword puzzle to my mind.

I still think it's a pre war BSA twin port? The oval badge, front mudguard stays, horn over the headlamp and the gubbins (magdyno) in front of the barrel......It even looks like pre war BSA levers?

I can't think of much from that period that had a traverse V engine? P&M from the 20's and the Indian 841 in the 40's..... Guzzi came later.
What else was there?

Cheers Ron

Ron, you omitted the AJS S3 that I mentioned above. It looks a bit like a 1929 / 30 AJS twin-port as well but the front brake is on the wrong side. If it's a single then it clearly has a painted magneto shield.

One of the problems here, as I see it is that there appears to be a diagonal stripe across the engine area. I don't think it's sunlight. Is this a photo that has been 'cleaned-up' in photoshop to remove an eBay seller's watermark or similar ? If so then that odd angled 'cylinder' could be something that has been dragged and pasted to fill in a gap ?

Yes Rik I also noted that faint stripe, but tried to look past it.

I'm distracted at the moment, watching mother fox and her four cubs on CCTV in my back lane:relaxed:

Mind you I'll be glad when the cubs crow up healthy and leave home and stop shitting and digging holes out there.:white_frowning_face:

Here's an impressed twin port AJ. Ron

AJ

Fourth from the left is an Ariel. distinctive front no. plate and side damper wing nut.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

The left hand machine, maybe - just maybe, might be one of those rare bird B&S transverse V twins?

Could the bike on the left be an early Ariel square four?

Rob

Rob the girder Squariel has a heavy valanced front guard......I have one on my Indian special:slightly_smiling_face: Ron
51_Oo_CM6u8_XL_SX463

Ah but then if you go back further, they did have a plain mudguard....But still looks different to the one in the picture...
I've still got my wages on BSA!!:smile:
Ariel_1930_500_Square_Four_drawing

What a world of knowledge here ! :grinning:

A couple more shots of the Leicestershire Home Guard.

Rob

lhg1

lhg2

Second picture, bike on the right: Royal Enfield WD/CO.

Can't get enough of these! :smile: Here's another one:

Jan

Sorry not Jan, i zoom on the picture,and not an overhead... think a late WD/C with panniers but early engine without oil filter
lovely Douglas on yours!!
Arnaud

Aargh.. Once again you're right Arnaud! Horizontal silencer and rectangular toolbox are both WD/C features...

Cheers,
Jan

Sorry Jan, i'm a "Where's Wally" champion when i was young....:yum: ( not so far when i think...)
also a lovely 1930 Royal Enfield without headlamp and reversed handlebar on your picture, maybe something like a JL30
on all the pictures, i can't imagine today 1 exemple of each bikes in the same place!! Panther, triumph, douglas, Royal enfield....
very lovely models
Arnaud

Talking about exotic bikes... What about this (well known) photograph? :yum:

West Hartlepool Home Guard despatch motorcycle riders

Jan

The Norton OHC in front; probably the most beautifull bike ever made on this lonely planet.
(doing 20 k today, I think)

If only we could go back in time....

Michael
The Norton OHC in front; probably the most beautifull bike ever made on this lonely planet.

Apart from the ugly cow's udder silencer :smile: :smile: Ron

And it's a big home guard unit than. These guys had a complete museum at their disposal.
I guess people from that region could still recognize some off the faces here.

Great pictures. Keep them coming.

Ron Pier
Michael

Apart from the ugly cow's udder silencer :smile: :smile: Ron
Chester registration on the Norton. I wonder how it ended up in West Hartlepool.

Jan
Talking about exotic bikes... What about this (well known) photograph? :yum:

West Hartlepool Home Guard despatch motorcycle riders

Jan
Norton CS1, waouhhhh !!!!
When I see a Peugeot P107 in French Army I understand why we lose in 1940 :laughing:

email (option): matrot.sandra@neuf.fr

I can imagine it's not easy to win a war on a Peugeot P107. Facing BMW's and Zundapps with sidecars and all that.
But as a despatch rider (or is it dispatch rider?) I prefer the Norton ! :wink:

Hello all,
maybe Norton is better than a poor horse like the P107 Peugeot, but this one ( the norton) was an impressed, it's look like you compare a Royal enfield WD/C with an impressed koehler escoffier 1000 v2.... officialy french army also have the P515 Peugeot and the Terrot 500 rsse, some beast of the road, and in front of BMW and Zundapp, they have the Gnome and Rhone sidecar XA better on the road and better in all terrain ( proved in the last week end :relaxed: )
british army have some side valve also, with the same performances as this poor P107
i prefer british bikes,and i can't be without emotions in front of some others made,and as in my motorcycle club they have all militaries, like FN, Sarolea, BMW, Gilera, the only one Sévitame, a japanese type 97, etc etc i need to admit that it's very interesting to compare on the road and in all terrains...
and just to finish, never forget that in 1940 the french Army was the most modern army, but only in vehicles..... and the 1940 battle was short, but terrible, just read the list of names on memorials in all small town... just for their memory.
Arnaud

You're abolutely right, Arnaud.
I was just kidding.

Would love to own this complete with load.....

5420 W Gnome et Rhone AX2 and cannon on sidecar

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

Yes.
But for G... sake, what is it ??

It's a Hotchkiss 25mm anti-tank gun with wheels that were so weak, they had to be carried 'portee'. The British had some and converted Bedford 15cwts to carry them.

The combination is a Gnome et Rhone - A French art-deco masterpiece :relaxed:

This picture from Arnaud. French Gnome and Rhone I think. Ron

DSC00945

Yes Arnaud, it was just a technical joke.
My father's familiy had never admitted that France lose in front off the nazi inhumanity.
Three off them were prisonners in Dora and Buchenwald, two never came back.

Before the war my mother's grand father had a TERROT 500 RSSE with a side car, he sold it in 1938 ( my family is from Dijon ).
He was afraid that it wax requisitioned ......
It was certainly used after in the Army.

Andy tiernan sell 800 AX2 GNOME RHONE. :wink:

Ron, The Black / Yellow / Red on the flag, outfits and trikes ought to give a clue, especially on 21st July (Belgium's National Day)...They all look like FNs to me.

You are right Rik, all FN, and one Sarolea, at the picture time, 2 sidecar are away,and in the back of the picture they are TRI FN, lots of rarities here
and yes,the bike on the picture with the 25 hotchkis is a 800 AX2, this one was just a prototype with reverse gear, they also make a towing model with 2 ramps to take the bikes on ( only for solo motorcycles), and friend have one, very funny!!:relaxed: and helpfull in a rally!!
just have a look on the AX2 battery, it's the french version of the NIFE, made by Saft, all nickeled steel case.
here a terrot vatt
DSC00937
and a Ax2 ( this one is a prototype with reverse gear)
DSC00082
Arnaud
pas de soucis Claude, mes grand parents aussi on "survecus" un au canal de Suez ( tireur FM) et l'autre a la poche de Royan... a 16 ans

One off my friends have a 800AX2 with side car.
( he think it was a German side , one off them built in the Terrot factory in Dijon for the Germans ).
And he's wraiting for a ride with our speedsters ..... :wink:

Extraordinairy bikes we don't see very often on this website.

Just confirms that I know bugger all about continental bikes:flushed: Ron

Here is the same type with gun Portee...

2288_W_Gnome_et_Rhone_AX2_and_artillery_on_sidecar

It seemed to be popular with the Germans also......

WH_xxxx_Gnome_et_Rhone_AX_2and_soldiers

A rare bike having it's engine removed, very advanced for it's time The S.E.V.I.T.A.M.E

xxxx_Sevitame_with_engine_removed_from_both_halves_of_frame

email (option): stinkypete80@hotmail.com

and the only one now in existance with a spare engine from a club member... beautiful engine, very modern for the time and for a 2 stroke...
Arnaud

DSC00796

DSC00784

Nieuwe pagina 1