Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic B31 - clutch

We have a '54 B31, which a year or so ago had new clutch plates and springs. The clutch performs perfectly but is quite heavy on the lever despite a new cable and careful cable routing. This isn't a problem...however...
We had to shorten the cable in the process and over the past year the nipple has pulled off the cable several times at the lever end where it was resoldered.
Before I try to get the nipple resoldered again (hopefully more effectively), I was just wondering if there is a possibility that the cable failure is down to the clutch being overly heavy? I fitted the clutch components as described in the relevant service sheet and Haynes manual but could I have set the new springs too tight?

Thanks!

Michael

Re: Off topic B31 - clutch

Hi Michael,

It is not an answer to your question,
But I would install a cable with a fixed nipple on the lever end, not a screw on one,
And a good quality heavy cable, and if possible, run it in an outer cable with an ocolone coating inside,
Or at least greased.
This way you should have the clutch lever as soft as can be.
Regarding to the clutch, if you have installed it according to an "exploded view", not much can go wrong.
Another point to be addressed is adjusting the position of the lever on the clutch side.
It should be some 10-15 degrees higher than center.

Noam.

When you are resoldering the nipple on are you making sure the cable strands are splayed out into the countersunk part of the nipple before soldering. If not it will pull out again irrespective of the pull needed

I take it that it is three plate clutch as it is a B31. A B33 has five plates. You should have two nuts on each stud. I bring the top nut down from the end by about 1/4". Have you the old springs they do come in different grades. Try the old springs first.

Noam Z
Hi Michael,

It is not an answer to your question,
But I would install a cable with a fixed nipple on the lever end, not a screw on one,
And a good quality heavy cable, and if possible, run it in an outer cable with an ocolone coating inside,
Or at least greased.
This way you should have the clutch lever as soft as can be.
Regarding to the clutch, if you have installed it according to an "exploded view", not much can go wrong.
Another point to be addressed is adjusting the position of the lever on the clutch side.
It should be some 10-15 degrees higher than center.

Noam.

Hi Noam,

Thanks for your advice, that's great, all really useful. Where would your recommend getting the best cable? The one I have is from Dragonfly.

Thanks!

Michael

Keith H
When you are resoldering the nipple on are you making sure the cable strands are splayed out into the countersunk part of the nipple before soldering. If not it will pull out again irrespective of the pull needed
Thanks Keith, good advice thanks, off the back of this I have found some videos online to help, that's great! Michael

Ian Clare
I take it that it is three plate clutch as it is a B31. A B33 has five plates. You should have two nuts on each stud. I bring the top nut down from the end by about 1/4". Have you the old springs they do come in different grades. Try the old springs first.
Hi Ian, yep, it's three plates, I will take it to bits as you suggest and try the old springs, thanks for the response! Michael

A few things and No 1 is ignore the BSA instructions for setting the clutch unless you are 30 stone and carry a 40 stone pillion passenger.
BSA had the riders set them so they would be guaranteed not to slip.

1) get the pressure plate to lift square then back off each nut till the clutch just slips when you kick the engine over then do up the nuts another 1/2 to one turn.
Put the front wheel into something solid then start the bike , engage 1st then let the clutch out.
If the engine feels like it is going to stall, you are there.
The idea is to make the clutch as LIGHT as possible.

2) next, check the lever at the gearbox, it must never ever be allowed to travel futher than a right angle between the lever and cable. If you pull it further than that you are putting most of the force into ripping the nipples off the cable.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks Trevor! This is really useful. This makes perfect sense!

Michael

Nieuwe pagina 1