Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas ammeters

Hi guys,
I'm a bit puzzled... Is there a difference between a Lucas CZ27 and a CZ11 if so, what??
Also, would it be appropriate to fit either to a 1943 bike?
Many thanks

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Re: Lucas ammeters

Hi Ian

I think the CZ11 is the pre war domed glass version in use up to 1939, a 1943 M20 should have a flat glass CZ27, hopefully someone can confirm that.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The Lucas catalogues are quite hard to follow, but I think you're right Rob. The CZ27 seems to be from 39/40 onward (CZ= Center Zero) The other common pre war ammeter is the model BM4 but I thinks it's 2". Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Lucas were masters of supersession and it's not always clear what they did and why. Sometimes part numbers changed with no apparent alteration to the component...and other times the part changed substantially but the name didn't.

My 11/39 Ammeter with domed glass and mica illumination window is marked 'CZ27'.

CZ27_reverse_2

Same here, i have a 1939 CZ27 with a domed glass and mica window. I have just fitted a 1941 CZ27 to a mates bike and that had a domed glass. Never seen one as late as this with the domed glass though.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Here's a flat glass CZ27 in a NOS DU42 headlamp in SCC No.2 Brown, it looks like its dated 1/44.

Rob

cz27

cz271

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

By way of comparison, this is the face of the '39-dated instrument with domed glass and illumination slot.

CZ27_front

Your panel is intersting Rob as it confirms the use of SCC No.2 into 1944 which is what we would expect, it casts a lot of doubt on how many British vehicles in June 1944 would have been Olive Drab - Not many as I understand it but amongst restored vehicles, it has taken over.

Cz11.L7 is shown in the 35-39 Lucas catalogue
CZ 14 DJ has grub screws and a special flange 10 amp
CZ 27 L ivory face
CZ27.L1 black face dome d glass
CZ.27.L2 white face coil ignition

My 35 XO has a CZ27.L1

BM is a 2” as stated

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Hi ,
Although I don't have a WD bike I have been reading your comments re ammeters.
I have a civilian Norton from 1939
Is there any cash Ex that one of you guys might have a suitable ammeter to sell?
I'm in Australia
Cheers
Greg

email (option): gblades@optusnet.com.au

But wich one do you exactly need, Greg ?

Rik
By way of comparison, this is the face of the '39-dated instrument with domed glass and illumination slot.

CZ27_front

Your panel is intersting Rob as it confirms the use of SCC No.2 into 1944 which is what we would expect, it casts a lot of doubt on how many British vehicles in June 1944 would have been Olive Drab - Not many as I understand it but amongst restored vehicles, it has taken over.
Someone was talking to a veteran who said he remembered most of the vehicles being brown on D-Day.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

My NOS DU42 with flat glass has the same color as yours Rob. I think mine is 1943 dated but I'll have to check;

DU42

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1