Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum Picture

A replica! Ron
DSCF0827

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Forum Picture

When it says "Steel plate", is it referring to the outer metal box or does it have steel plates inside instead of lead as in a lead acid battery?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob it's a stainless steel outer case. No lead, no acid. In fact the specification is such that I wonder why they ever changed it.

I'll send you something. Ron

The cost of the Ni-Fe units was more than double, but the main reason for ending their fitment to motorcycles seems to have been that the scarce materials were needed elsewhere. I believe that there were several aircraft applications. A magneto-equipped motorcycle with a flat battery is not the end of the world. Sulphuric acid swilling around inside the aluminium structure of an aeroplane is probably not a very good thing. The Air Ministry had a talent for getting what they wanted, even in peacetime.

'it's a stainless steel outer case...'

Lovely, lovely stainless steel...When are they going to do the rest of the bike?...:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ron, fascinating stuff.

It seems that one of the problems with the Nife battery was its poor performance in cold weather, the winter of 1939/40 was very cold so maybe that had something to do with the rapid change to Lead Acid batteries early in the war?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The Norton factory records state 'Lead Batteries now standard' from October 1939 so it seems that they were taking measures earlier.

Could anybody tell me why five cells for six volts ?

It's a whole lot of difference. Ron
Scan_20180627_2

Wow, I wish I could get a battery that good now 🙂

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Charlie
Could anybody tell me why five cells for six volts ?
5 cells x 1.2v each = 6v

email (option): Simon@leanmachine.co.uk

This is turning into the WD battery forum....:laughing: ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Had the 1.2 volt figured out but the only batteries I have ever delt with over 50 odd years have all been 2volts per cell, excluding wireless accumulators , you live and learn

Nieuwe pagina 1