Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
removing clutch complete wit centre and basket?

Gent's,
I plan to replace the rollers to reduce tilt. Is it possible (and easy) to remove and install the complete clutch from the shaft? Meaning to not remove centre nut and plates etc. Upon doing this before I had a drama getting the centre nut on without cross threading, so if I can I would like to avoid.
Thanks,
Pat

email (option): patrick.vandertier bij casema point nl

Re: removing clutch complete wit centre and basket?

Hi Pat.

Yes, it is possible.
You would need to loosen the center INTERNAL nut,
Then either use the specific puller to screw into the clutch spindle and tighten a screw in the middle of it,
Or, if you do not have that puller, or if the internal threads are gone (Usually they are),
Just use a big claw puller to grip around the 42 teeth sprocket,
And push against the clutch center. (gear shaft) tapping it around with a mallet would help free.
In any case, please remember to put a screw into the shaft, where the push rod goes,
In order not to harm the gearbox shaft.

Good luck,
Noam.

BTW Pat,

The BSA extractor tool is shown on page 21 on the Maintenance manual,

On the TECHNICAL SECTION

Thanks Noam,
I will give it a go.
Suspect it will be a bit fiddly to get it complete back on again also with rollers and the cork back in place.
Cheers,
Pat

email (option): patrick.vandertier bij casema point nl

Hi Pat.

It was a long while since I did that,
But putting it back was not very hard, as much as I can remember.
I've "glued" the rollers with grease around on the inside of the clutch assy, and put it back on.

I'm confident you'll manage ! :+1:

Cheers,
Noam.

Hello Pat,

I've just replaced the rollers in my clutch (long story about getting the right size as many sellers are supplying them too large - they should be 1/4 by 1/4).

One way to keep the rollers in place when fitting the basket is to use a large screw-tightening circular clip, such as used on car radiator hoses etc. Tighten the clip on the rollers, with about half the depth of roller showing.

These large clips have a screw-in fitting to tighten them, and the part with the screw will not be perfectly aligned with the rest of the circle, so I chose to slip that set of rollers into the basket bearing first. Then, using a knife edge in the gap, gently press the other rollers flat against the bearing surface and with luck it all slides together.... These rollers will tend to tip over unless one is very careful.

Doing this taught me several things.
First, assume that it will take longer than expected.
Second, assume you'll have rollers fall out and onto the floor. I used a clean piece of carpet underneath where I was working, after I'd had the experience of a roller escaping, bouncing along the floor, and hiding under my work bench in amid all the accumulated dust.
Third, once it's all in place don't pick it up without holding onto the center and the basket or you'll be back to square one.

I hope this helps.

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Aloha Pat,

If you have the proper clutch spring compression tool it really should not be a problem next time. I have taken mine apart and put it back together quite a few times (because I had problems with it not releasing and at first couldn't figure out why). I also had a special clutch nut tool made from a large pipe to make it easier.
But I do understand and support your idea of not taking it apart if it is not necessary!

Allan: I prefer putting a slab of grease around the inside on the clutch center, as mentioned above, and stick the rollers on to that and then it is only a matter of sliding it into place.

best regards,

Simon

Yes it is important to know that a roller hasn't tipped over! A tipped over roller will fit in the space of an upright roller:scream: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
Yes it is important to know that a roller hasn\'t tipped over! A tipped over roller will fit in the space of an upright roller:scream: Ron
Well, that's a nice though you just planted in my mind Ron... :D

Better to be in your mind Simon than in your clutch. :slightly_frowning_face: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
Better to be in your mind Simon than in your clutch. :slightly_frowning_face: Ron
Well... won’t be able to stop thinking that might be the case... ;-)

/simon

email (option): SimonofSweden

One month a go I had the same problem with a new clutch sprocket and the rollers.
the clutch wasn't at the good dimensions for the rollers ........
Damned :angry:
After have post-processing it by a professional it's good.
Some grease to keep the rollers, assembly and the clutch is like new .:grinning:

email (option): matrot.sandra@neuf.fr

I wonder if there is any use in fitting new rollers.
They only work the moment you pull the clutch. Nothing more.
So they should last forever.

Mick -

It's a difference between theory and practice, I suppose. The rollers do wear in fact, as do the races, and so need replacing every so often.

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1