Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recommended finish for barrel and head

I had my barrel and head blasted really clean and applies VHT paint to both. I then heated them on the oven. Bike now finishe dand the first time I leave it out overnight in rain they go rusty. GRRRRR
I slap some Zebo on for now but what do you guys recommend as a resiliant finish?

Re: Recommended finish for barrel and head

I can't recommend one...I've never found anything that will last very long if the bike is used in the rain...A few paints seem to stay on for a while if they are kept dry...I've tried many different ones even after recommendations but none will stand time and varied use in my experience...

In the States where ceramic coating doesn't seem to be classed as an exotic treatment I understand it can be carried out at a reasonable cost...I reckon that might last but when I enquired in the UK a few years ago about having it done I thought they must have been joking when they gave me a quote:laughing: ...However, perhaps things have changed in the last few years....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I used ordinairy heat resistant spray paint years ago.
As long as you keep your bike dry (wich I do), it will last.

I can't keep paint on the head, barrel or exhaust.

I have tried lots of VHT paints, but they all seem to vanish.

My Triumph and A10 seem to keep paint on the barrels. Maybe side valves just run a bit too hot.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

I've been using high temperature powdercoating for headers, heads and barrels. It seems to work very well (so far), but the high temperature powder is a bit hard to find...

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Interesting...Do you know what operating temperature the powder you have used is 'rated' at..?

On the same subject, for anyone considering 'standard' powder coating it won't work on the side valves. However, it will work and last on the cooler running OHV engines such as B31/33, A7/A10 etc....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Try PJ 1 it is as good as you can get for barrels and exhausts it is on ebay

I'm trialing caliper paint on the exhaust of a two stroke road bike I have after being fed up with VHT, I'll never use it again.

Ian Wright
Interesting...Do you know what operating temperature the powder you have used is 'rated' at..?

On the same subject, for anyone considering 'standard' powder coating it won't work on the side valves. However, it will work and last on the cooler running OHV engines such as B31/33, A7/A10 etc....Ian

hi Ian,
this is what I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pounds-Powder-Coat-Material-Black-low-gloss-textured-High-Temp-Vergin-2-/362330267512?hash=item545c911f78

The listing says 650-700C and it is made by "KoolKote. I've done my head with it but have not had a chance to field test this because I'm waiting to repair my oil pump...

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Cas, let us know how it fairs when you've run it for a while.

At least it seems the problem does not lie with anything I've done.

The finish on my ohv bikes has, like others have experienced, lasted well. I thinbk they were stove enamelled. Tne exception being the powder coating I had done on the barrels of the V twin trike. This has burnt off round the exhaust ports and a fair portion of the 'head'.

i used rustoleum bbq black.
i sprayed it about 6 times and it looks nice.
first time with engine running it was stinking and a bit foggy:grinning:

email (option): roy206@hotmail.com

Cheers Roy.
Could you leave your bike out next time we have a few days of heavy rain so we can test for rust protection:wink:

I use Pot Belly Black, as you might gather it comes from a wood heater shop.
I would expect BBQ black is some what similar.
Comes in gloss & matt but the gloss will go matt over time.
The trick is a lot of very light coats some time as many as 12 of them.

What paint as we all know dries from the outside in what most people fail to understand is that in order for the paint that is under the skin to dry the solvent has to escape and it does so by making little tunnels.
Now because gasses came out of these tunnels, moisture can get in via the said same tunnels.
Thus the more coats you put on the less chance of any of these tunnels joining up to make a path all the way back to the metal base.
The mechanism is exactly the same with 2 pack where you have 2 liquids reacting with each other to make a solid & a gas and that gas has to go somewhere and in going somewhere leaves a tunnel behind it.
The thinner the coat, the less gas that there is to escape the fewer the pathways from the bottom of the coating to the outside.

Most people put heat proof coatings on way way way way too thick and put second coats on too early.
Also the colder & slower the paint dries the better.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1