Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drive chain maintenance

Hello folks, can anyone out there recommend a good chain spray for day to day care and maintenance of the final drive chain ? I realise some bikes do have a drip feed, but a bit of help from an aerosol medium that can get between links and rollers would help prolong chain life.
Thanks in advance of any replys, Pete.
P.S.Anybody going to the "Lanc & aTank show" at East Kirkby Lincolnshire, this weekend ?

email (option): petethejeep@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Drive chain maintenance

I don't like the 'dry chain lubes' that look like spray on whipped cream. I use the type that sprays out like water and then sets in minutes like treacle. Plenty on the market but I wouldn't know the best ones over the others. Currently I'm using this.
http://www.hellotrade.com/chaintec-uk/chain-lube.html

Much stickier than sticky stuff. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The type of chain lube is no where near as important as when you do it.
Chains should always be lubed when hot and the hotter the better.
So when you come back from a long ride, up on the center stand, engine running in gear.
Brush / hand broom to knock off the big stuff, solvent rag to get the oily small stuff off then a good squirt with the goo and let it run for another 10 minutes then turn off and let the chain cool down and suck the lube into the rollers which is where it needs to be.

Personally I only ever spray lube after a heavy rain storm and the chain is wet when I finish riding.

Boiling is byfar the best way to lube the chain cause it gets inside the rollers where it is needed.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

My dog likes the taste of the spray lube I've got, licks at the chain til I shoo him off. Given his other dietary predilections I'm not sure whether that's a recommendation or not.

I get asked this one a lot at work as we sell industrial chains too.
I agree that the type of lube is personal choice, so long as you can get the lubrication to the inside of the rollers, where it belongs and works for its living :relaxed:

Scott oilers are great in that they lube as its running and keep it lubed but the cost is not just in £'s, the oil splats off everywhere and can get to be a right mess.

I used to always use engine oil and a paint brush, slowly working my way around the chain whilst sat behind the bike revolving the back wheel. Work the brush in and it helps move the crud at the same time. Then have a rag to wipe the surplus off.

These days, I prefer the spray on clear chain and bearing lube, £5.95 per can which goes on wet and when the solvent evaporates, leaves a tacky lube which does not 'fling'. There are lots on the market, but email me if you struggle.

Darren

email (option): dwrudd at lineone.net

Nieuwe pagina 1