Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ultrasonic cleaners

any one have experience of the DIY, type of ultrasonic cleaners avail on epay, as thinking of buying a 6ltr one ?

email (option): warbikes@gee male dot con, (think about this folks)

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners

I have both small and good size one, they are very good but not infallible. I obtained my large one from my dentist who was replacing it as it had an intermittent fault, works O.K. for what I want and the cost? some cakes for the staff which I then got a bollocking for supplying as they were all sugar! kind regards

Got 4 and have killed 2.
Only way to reliably clean cube carbs ( chainsaws etc )
Mine ends up running 10 hours a day.
Got one full of kerro and that works really well.

What is important is the liquid you put in there.
The carb cleaner gets special ultrasonic cleaner at 1/3 stength. then a vinegar treatment followed bu a hot water rinse and blow dry.

To get the best out of them, the parts need to be degreased before they go into the ultrasound tank.
Ultra sound works best with dilute detergent solutions and they will not cope with heavy grease or oil.
The smallest is 2 l and the biggest is a 30L laundry tub with a transponder glued to the underside.
I am looking into a bigger one still but that will be a vibrator and generates the waves by means of an unbalanced crank spinning at high speed.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

trevor
Got 4 and have killed 2.
Only way to reliably clean cube carbs ( chainsaws etc )
Mine ends up running 10 hours a day.
Got one full of kerro and that works really well.

What is important is the liquid you put in there.
The carb cleaner gets special ultrasonic cleaner at 1/3 stength. then a vinegar treatment followed bu a hot water rinse and blow dry.

To get the best out of them, the parts need to be degreased before they go into the ultrasound tank.
Ultra sound works best with dilute detergent solutions and they will not cope with heavy grease or oil.
The smallest is 2 l and the biggest is a 30L laundry tub with a transponder glued to the underside.
I am looking into a bigger one still but that will be a vibrator and generates the waves by means of an unbalanced crank spinning at high speed.
Does this mean, Trevor that if one could get ones M20 revving high enough, it would become self-cleaning ? :sunglasses:

Hi Andrew

I’ve had a 2.5 litre DIY cabinet for a few years which has been reliable (so far). Although I do agree that a good cleaning solution is really important (just detergent doesn't work).

Really useful for cleaning carburettors and it amazing how much dirt comes off something you thought was fairly clean to start with.

From memory mine was fairly cheap and although not used that often still worth the purchase.

so could I use a degreaser ,say gunk , or as before kerro then change to a water detergent mix for finish or just degrease then put in the ultrasonic bath ? , On alli / alloy bits I normally get vapor blasted, but looking to do carburetors levers etc, think I will order one now,

According to the safety instructions which come with our big ones at work, they shouldn't be used with inflammable liquids as the ultrasound can cause a fine explosive vapour....but eveyone did it for years and I've never heard of one going up....They can get quite smelly with the heater on though.

Kerro? is this what us Brits call paraffin? would never have thought of using it in a sonic cleaner, I guess this would remove grease etc. kind regards

Yes, Parrafin.
I do not use heaters with Kerro.
In fact after 30 minutes or so the solution self heats.
Beware of explosive vapours.

Whith the smaller ones I have an old drip coffee jar & filter I tip the solution into.
Coffee filters work really well for filtering the grit out.
For tiny things like jets I use tea infusers .
They don't work all that well so some thing that should take 10 minutes might take 30.
Most ultrasonic cleaners are quite basic ( as in alkaline ) so if you leave zinc in there for too long you will end up with a surface reaction and grey Nz2O which will need to be brushed off , it will not wash off it has to be mechanically removed I now use soda.

As to what to use, experiment.
A lot of people use simple green.
Truck wash works quite well as it handles really greasy surfaces really well.
Apparently nappy wash also works really well.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

well my china made one arrived, used it a few times as you do,!! works well on water based cleaner with ali items , haven't tried the crown jewels yet , tried cleaning NOS but surface rusted diesel injectors , used parfine AKA kerro, not brilliant vapor would work better, but was trying to avoid water penetration, will try nappy wash on carb parts next ,

Nieuwe pagina 1