Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'BTH' self generating electronic ignition...

This is off topic but I'm interested to know if anyone is running a 'BTH' self generating electronic ignition mag replacement...

The unit looks similar to a magdyno and is simply fitted complete as a replacement for the original...For an upcoming project I like the idea of the improved spark at kick starting speeds and the 'built in' adv/rtd curve...

However, at £786 I'd be glad to hear from anyone who has working experience of the type before 'taking the plunge'! (or one of the other models such as the K2F replacement)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: 'BTH' self generating electronic ignition...

I have been using one of these on my A10 Super Rocket having got fed up with frequent dodgy mag rebuilds.
It transformed the bike. One or two kicks to start after 6 months lay up, great tickover and on matter how hard you snap the throttle shut at red traffic lights it never stalls. Dead easy to install and set up and maintenance free: I have never had to do anything to it since I originally installed it
I am very happy with it.

Thanks Dean...That sounds positive...Have you done many miles with it?...Ian

Hi Ian

I have fitted 3 self generating BTH mags on my 3HW, WD M20 and my '59 Bonneville, have covered about 3500 miles on the 3HW,2000+ miles on the WM20 and 3000+ on the '59 with no issues at all, performance is defiantly improved, three friends have fitted them on their bikes on my recommendation and they still talk to me. Setting the timing is fool proof as you lock the drive shaft of the mag while you tighten the pinion up with no chance of it moving. Way better than spending money on refurbishing an old mag. Cheers Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Ian, my friend has one fitted to an Ariel used in classic racing and while the BTH mag works fine now it was supplied with a faulty coil.
The supplier refused to accept that the coil was faulty and my friend ended up fitting a coil sourced elsewhere.
Completely unacceptable for such an expensive unit.

It seems that their after-sales support is less than stellar so you might want to get an ironclad agreement regarding warranty before you purchase.

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Ian,

I put a 'New BTH' on my first old bike - a '49 G80S 3 years ago. Super easy to install, setup and looks amazing. Very good quality piece of kit.

The only thing I found, was that it always seemed to make the bike run and idle fast. I couldn't seem to tune out the fast idle when coming to a set of traffic lights, where, it would idle fast, for 30 seconds or more before it'd start to idle down. It did NOT do this with the original Lucas mag. It always made me feel self concious, as people would look and think "what's this boob doing with his bike revving"...

Otherwise- great bit of gear. Maybe my issue was caused by something I did... ?

email (option): marty.whyte@gmail.com

My mate Graham (last of the summer wine) has one on his Dommie. In his words. "Brilliant piece of kit" Horror has met the bike. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the replies so far...Has anyone else had the 'fast idle' problem described by Marty?..Ian

Hi Ian

I've had no problem whatsoever with any of my bikes and neither have any of my fiends. Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Ian Wright
Thanks Dean...That sounds positive...Have you done many miles with it?...Ian
Ian, I've probably done about 3000 miles on the BTH.

I fitted a Thorspark ignition to my WM20. This replaces the points in the magneto and fires the coil (also supplied). Timing can be set perfectly with a strobe light after making an appropriate mark on the engine sprocket. This leaves the mag where it is but it's only function is to time the pickup. Advance still operates off the original cable and it is virtually invisible once installed. This works VERY well, my old girl starts first kick even if left in the back of my shed for 6 months. Not as fancy as the item described here but works really well. Drainage on battery is minimal - about 1/4 amp.

also, see this post
http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1370049&cmd=show

Hi Ian,

I bought one for my WM20 at Stafford, directly from the manufacturer.
He and his missus were there, and they were very nice and serviceable,
So I believe that if you have any issues, as described here, (Coil or anything else) they would help.
I had few questions and I called the owner directly and he was very helpful.
The system works great on the WM20, but worth also mentioning:

1. You can have either a fixed ignition unit or auto-advance off BTH, both cost the same.
2. When they were selling at Stafford, there was a 50% discount, for the time of the fare.
(Maybe the same when selling elsewhere)
3. I have a “Powerdyno” on an M21
(Modified, so did not care about the originality. The system looks like a “Bosch” unit)
And it also works great, and if I remember correctly, the "BTH" auto advance is fixed,
But on the "Powerdynamo" you have a microswitch to choose one out of 4 pre-set timing maps already embedded,
And it comes complete with a 12V alternator, with 2 wires run out of it directly to the batt, which is great.

Cheers,
Noam.

Noam, can you do me a favour and give this lovely helpful chap a call and ask if he would be able to help with the faulty coil (100% proven)?
Sometimes people who have had face to face contact are completely different to how they react to email.
Please feel free to contact me offline and the results would no doubt be interesting for our friend Ian?
Best rgds, Ray

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Interesting thread. I know two people with a BTH mag both have had problems and both have had no joy with the manufactures. Both mags were fitted to BSA Super Rockets. One had an intermittent fault which turned out to be a faulty circuit board, this was fixed by another friend. The other one kept failing and was sent back many times to be told that there was no fault found. This now forms an expensive ornament in his garage. He rides his bike now with a problem free ordinary Lucas mag.

Hi Ray.

It was some 3 years ago and I doubt he remembers me...
I had his phone (Maybe even mobile) written on a piece of paper with the company details/ad,
And called him from London for details, after the event ended.
I will try to find it and update you.

Best regards,
Noam.

Nieuwe pagina 1