Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox - outer oil retaining washer

Hi all,

Trying to rebuild an M-type gearbox. I'm finding that the available exploded views and my memory are leaving me uncertain on a few topics. My questions may display some ignorance, so please be kind.

I will be running a sealed bearing (the larger bearing at the sprocket)--is there any point to trying to obtain a seal like #9 on the draganfly page? https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/a65anda50/category/902-b-m-group-1938-62-plunger-rigid

The 'outer oil retaining washer': I have a washer that fits in the recessed area of the case, it's not perfectly flat, it has a bit of a conical flex or bend to it--does this sound like the right one?
The maintenance manual says a washer "fits on the opposite side of the bearing with its depressed face against the bearing." I am supposing/hoping this is reference to the same washer... but I'm not sure.

Is there anything else to consider before pressing the bearing in?

Thanks!

NT

email (option): nicktogbs at gmail.com

Re: Gearbox - outer oil retaining washer

Hi Nick, With a sealed bearing the big rings have no function anymore but are still needed for axial position of the sprocket and gear.

Like you I also found that they are often not flat and when fitted they can touch the sealing of the bearing and lock up the sleeve gear when the sprocket nut is fastenend.

To avoid this I cut the outer ring much smaller so that it can be fitted from the other side after the bearing and sleeve gear have been fitted....... additional advantage is that you can fully concentrate on getting the cold bearing straight in the hot casing and not have to bother about the position of the washer while doing that.

Good luck! Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Thanks Michiel!

Looking forward to someday replacing my postwar gearbox with an M-type!

Thanks again.

NT

Nick,
it has been advised here in the past to leave the inner seal out.
So oil can easely go in and out of the bearing.

About removing the inner sealing or not the opinions are divided. Personally I leave it there as this will keep the bearing more clean from possible dirty oil from the gearbox...... Cheers, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1