Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear brake plate repair BSA WM20

Anyone outhere repaired a worn rear brake plate boss where the brake cam goes thru? I need to repair one of mine before using it again.Looks like the boss is hardened and is oval. the cam I will replace with a N.O.S item but will need to bore /ream out plate to take a bush. Any ideas would help... Dave

Re: Rear brake plate repair BSA WM20

The bosses are very hard....I struggled to take anything out of them with High Speed Steel cutting tools...

The best option is to soften it, ream it oversize and then fit a very thin bronze bush...At least that way it is repairable the next time it wears...A reamer will cut a 'true' hole and not follow the worn oval hole as a drill tends to, though you may have to do it in stages and you will have to set up the plate on a pedestal drill/milling machine...

Alternatively, using a lathe, set the brake plate up on a face plate and bore it oversize...

To soften the boss heat to red and then allow to cool naturally...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Rear brake plate repair BSA WM20

Cheers for reply Ian.

Just as I thought the boss is very hard,tried a small file on it... Had a good look at it since I posted and I think I will take it my mate who has a sun honing machine and hone it out rather than softening the boss then as you say make a thin walled bronze bush..Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1