Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What am I missing here? (Timing bolt hole)

Just replaced the magdyno on my M20 and ready to set the timing. Removed the timing bolt to use the stick method for finding TDC. When I rotate the crank, the stick doesn't move up and down. Looking into the hole, I can see that nothing is moving as the crank is turned. I know the piston is moving as I can hear the air being blown through the spark plug hole. The timing hole bolt wasn't broken off, so I know there isn't a piece of it blocking the hole. As this is my first M20, maybe I am missing something but, shouldn't this timing hole lead straight to the top of the piston?

email (option): kakin@centurytel.net

Re: What am I missing here? (Timing bolt hole)

Just remove the head, and poke something through the timing bolt hole; if the bolt is a bit short, there might be a hard coke deposit in the hole....:smiley:

Was hoping to avoid removing the head right now if possible. I thought that the timing hole bolt was flush with the inside of the head to prevent deposits from plugging the hole. In any event, if no one has a better answer, I guess I will be removing the head.

Well, that is exactly what is was. The hole was coked up just enough to block it. Thanks for the tip!

Don't forget to put an annealed copper washer under the bolt head when you replace it...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Indeed I will! Thanks Ian!

Nieuwe pagina 1