Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Magneto pick up

Am i right in thinking M20 pick up is on ghe right ( rear) hence tight wire advance and nortons were on yhe left( front) thus slak wire advance ?

email (option): Chris dot astin barker at bee tee internet dot com

Re: Magneto pick up

Hi Chris

Whilst I cannot state with 100% certainty this is the case - it is what I believe to be the correct assumption and what I have been advised on previously

Br

Jib

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

No Chris! They are both tight wire. The M20 mag is driven anti clockwise, the Norton mag is driven clockwise. To my knowledge it was only Royal Enfield who adopted the more sensible slack wire advance. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks uncle ron

So for an m20 is the oick up on the left or right ?
Is the wire left or right ?

Looking from the points end of the mag, both the pick up and adv/rtd cable are to the right of the points assembly on a WDM20...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

As for the Norton. The pick up and adv/ret cable are on the left (nearest the barrel) But as I said, is still tight wire advance. :slightly_smiling_face: Ron

Hi Chris

I am sure that you know, but thought I would mention it just in case.

Some WM20s out there may have an incorrect post war mag fitted (mine has). My adv/ret wire exits opposite to the wartime mag and is a slack wire advance.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

One of the reasons that Norton mags are so hard to find is that they are snapped up by BSA owners in order to use the points end for converting to slack wire advance. The A/R cable is not heavily loaded though and it seems logical to me that choke and ignition both pull back for normal running.

Norton bodies, incidentally (and this has nothing to do with direction of rotation) have the HT pickup next to the cylinder. It is a real fiddle on the 16H and may not be possible on some other engines.

Am i being thicker than usual ??
M20 pick up and cable nearest barrel or facing aft ?

Sorry Chris! but yes you are:confused: WM20 pickup and cable are at the rear/aft/to the right of the points. Did you read Ian's post? Ron

Hi Chris

The only help I can give you is that for my mag, which is a slack wire advance and not the correct set up for a wartime mag, the cable to advance or retard the ignition is on the left running parallel to and nearest to the barrel when viewed at the points end of the mag.

The HT lead or wire which runs from the spark plug to the mag pick up is farthest away from the barrel and close to the oil pipes at the oil tank.

My conclusion from this, rightly or wrongly, is that no matter which mag you have (tight wire or slack wire advance), the position of the HT pick up is the same.

I guess it would be fairly difficult to remove the pick up if it was on the other side i.e. very close to the barrel.

Hans has a picture in the Technical Section of a slack wire advance mag which shows the position of the adv/ret cable. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the position of the mag pick up and HT lead.

I haven't got another M20 mag to do any comparisons with, so please ignore all of this if I am talking bo&*ocks.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

"... Hans has a picture in the Technical Section of a slack wire advance mag which shows the position of the adv/ret cable. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the position of the mag pick up and HT lead...."

It's on the right side of my magdyno !

This is my spare "correct" M20 magdyno. Ron

DSCF0766

Nieuwe pagina 1