Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lovely day in South Devon...

It was a beautiful day today so I set off early for a run about on 'The Indian takeaway'....It turned into a very enjoyable 4 1/2 hour ride...Here it is on Dartmoor where I often go for a ride....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Lovely day in South Devon...

Lovely shot Ian.
How do you rate the Indian?
Somewhere I've got photos of our old A10 outfit on Dartmoor during a camping trip to South Devon 40 years ago.
By contrast I have been in the gloom of the garage making a frame for the £14 Argos panniers in readiness for tomorrow's VMCC Relay rally.
Is anyone else doing this?

So far so good...I'd say pretty confidently it doesn't have the claimed 27BHP lurking in the engine..or maybe they are some rare breed Indian horses?:laughing: ...
My guess would be nearer 23BHP....It's happy enough running along at around 60mph on the open road and has more left, but I haven't bought it for performance so to date have only had it up to about 70mph...

The electric start makes life easy (Nippon Denso starter) but it's also a doddle to kick as it has an automatic decompressor..
Hydraulic tappets mean no adjustment is required so that's a plus..It vibrates pretty much as you'd expect a 500 single to..I feel quite at home on it after a lifetime of older Brit bikes...

Kiehnin? Jap fuel injection and left hand change 5 speed gearbox complete the ensemble...General 'fit and finish' looks ok though the chrome rims aren't that good (stainless spokes as standard though!)

Clutch and gearbox work very nicely and as Enfield have retained both the original 500s bore and stroke and some flywheels it rides very like any older single..
Economy is remarkable...It frequently catches me out thinking I need fuel when in fact I need very little...I'd say it's returning about 75-80mpg....

This is a 2015 model which still retains the drum rear brake...That and the single front disc are well up to the job though probably not as good as a modern Jap..It pretty light, easy to handle and the centre stand is well designed for easy use...

All in all I'm happy so far...I've run it through the winter but only put about a 1000miles on it...If it's still running as well after the summer when I'll get some more substantial miles in then it'll do for me as a hack...Ian

Thanks for the helpful info Ian. I have been tempted and that makes them more so. I must resist for now though for while my knees hold up, starting old BSAs is the only exercise I get:blush:

The after effects of a badly broken ankle dictate that the best thing is to save it for when I want to ride the BSAs and not to squander it on daily running about!...:laughing: ...Ian

It's ever-so shiny, Ian. I really think that you should lean it against a wall and spray it Standard Camouflage Cowshit No.2 ! :grinning:

I'll do the Enfield if you do your Commando...:laughing: ...Ian

The Bullet is the longest produced model of any make ever. I've had mine on the bench for a few days for servicing in rediness for Normandy at the end of the month.

Tomorrow I'm riding my shiny bike in east Dorset to Sammy Miller's auto jumble. Ron:+1:

DSCF0740

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ian Wright
I'll do the Enfield if you do your Commando...:laughing: ...Ian
Touché :-) I do indeed have a weakness for polished ali and stainless. I'm prepared to consider the Long Range Fastback tank in Dark Bronze Green though !

A real hot day here in Dorset. Nice ride out to Sammy's and I even got invited into the workshop where Sammy was brewing tea. Ron:+1:

20180506_113658

Ron
A very nice bike there. Indian motor, BSA gearbox & what else?
Bob

Bob it's basically a 1944 WD M20 with a bored out (600cc) 1942 WD Indian 741 engine with some Ariel, Matchless and pre war BSA bits. I did toy with spraying it army green, but there was a hankering for something shiny for a change.

I've done over 5000 miles on it with a standard single spring clutch (2 plates removed) and a 21 tooth M21 engine sproket. I've taken it up to 60mph and it feels like it would easily pull a much bigger sprocket for higher top speeds....But that would be too scary for me. :relaxed: Ron Indian_S_032
Indian_S_256
how do i delete an ebay account

Ron
Thanks for the info. A lovely machine & a credit to you.

Hi Ian

I would be interested to know how long your rear sprocket lasts.

My mate lost quite a few teeth in no time at all.

Regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1