Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
D Day 2019 (75th anniversary)

Just a heads up. I'm in constant contact with the campsite at Etreham which the MVT have booked the entire main site for next year. However there are still spaces available to us in the back field which are quickly being taken by the MVT and others.

The campsite owners will be providing showers/ toilets/ generators etc as on the 70th. I guess the whole region will be getting booked up quickly.

Anyone thinking of going to this campsite would be advised to email Isabelle with your intention on campingreinemathilde@gmail.com
sooner rather than later (mention my name if you want). She will be sending out info and calling for deposits after June this year.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: D Day 2019 (75th anniversary)

Thanks Ron.
I emailed them before Christmas so hopefully I'm on their list (I didn't get a response).
Richard

email (option): RICHARDPURKISS@HOTMAIL.COM

Is anything being organised for next year?...So far no information has been forthcoming and it does seem that individual bookings are going to have to be the way to go for those that want to attend...

If something is being planned then I think it's time to start disseminating some information as these things have to be known well in advance...

It looks like, unfortunately, the Normandy Tour is going to come down to a 20 minute Guiness Record run which was only an addition made as an after thought to the original event...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Well I'm not organizing anything official for next year Ian, I just want to be there, although I'm more than happy to help with or lead runs if anyone asks me and gives details of any proposals. I haven't heard of anything being organized, just some rumors about a GWR run. Although the MVT will undoubtedly be organizing tours. Ron

Shame if we do nothing i am 65 now so dont know how many more times i will be able to get there and we all had such a great time at the 70th

Hmm, 65, a youngster, Im 72 in three months time and I'll be there,

email (option): warbikes@gee male dot con, (think about this folks)

I'm right behind you Andy:older_man: Ron

There seems to be a lot of confusion about about the campsite. I was told, by and MVT official, quite a while ago, that the campsite was full. As a consequence I've had to join the IMPs to get on to their site at Port-en-Bessin. However, if you've spoke to the owners of the Etreham site and there is still space I guess its true. Its just a shame that most of my friends will now be staying down the road.

Yes it's true Gerard, as I said in my previous post, the MVT have booked the whole of the main campsite as they do every 5th year, and are spilling over into the 4 acre reserve field. But I have posted on several occasions over the last year that camping for us DR's is safe, as long as you email Isabelle on campingreinemathilde@gmail.com.

I am a member (over 30 years) of the MVT but it does annoy me that they seem to think that they own the place every 5 years. How do they have the right to say that someone else's campsite is full?

I guess Isabelle and Jack will be concentrating more on next year after this June is over. Ron

Ron Pier
I'm right behind you Andy:older_man: Ron
Unfortunately, I'm WAY ahead of you folks, at 84...
No more Reine Mathilde for me, but the good memories remain :joy:

It's a shame (not the term I would like to use by any means) that there isn't an individual or group who are prepared to step up, make a commitment and expend the effort needed to organise a properly co ordinated tour for the 75th....

If everything is always left to others nothing will get done and it is pretty clear that nothing has been done within an appropriate time scale to get a 75th. Anniversary Tour underway...

Consequently, as can be seen from the preceding posts, a state of confusion now exists with groups and individuals acting independently and as a result there effectively is no organised tour to commemorate this important anniversary...Frankly, it's pathetic...Ian

Yes it is a shame Ian and where is that younger person who is prepared to step into the breech. I feel I've done my bit over the years to help with these commemorations but I'm not prepared to put myself through the stress of organizing something on my own again. Not to mention fending off the threats from that "Liberation task force" guy.

As I've said, I'm more than happy to help or even co-organize with others.

So far, my thoughts are to just be there and make arrangements on a daily basis via popular consensus,.... dependent on weather, traffic conditions and authority stipulations. Ron

Hans WDM20 58764
Ron Pier
I\'m right behind you Andy:older_man: Ron
Unfortunately, I'm WAY ahead of you folks, at 84...
No more Reine Mathilde for me, but the good memories remain :joy:
I'll miss you Hans. You're a gent. Ron
IMG_4009

I am not sure that the lack of an organiser(s) for a "co-ordinated tour" (whatever that is......more like a herding cats tour.....and my hat/helmet off to Ian and Ron for doing as well as they did in past years) is being pathetic......more of a sign if the times that for the most part we are an, ahem, maturing group and maybe not as committed as in the past to mucking in together. Folks want more to do their own thing regards both accommodation and where they want to go, for lots of reasons. But all is not lost, surely, as the benefit of the mobile smart phone (there has to be ONE!) is that once "over there", gatherings may be organised and rendezvous arranged. OK, it likely means that there might mot be a re-run of record-breaking columns, but to my mind, that has been done......and done well. Bearing in mind the security issues the authorities in France will face, and in light of all the recent attacks, getting about in and near D-Day in 2019 will likely be a challenge......especially for large groups wanting to move en masse.

Well the MVT don't think like that as their tour is taking the bulk of the Etreham site..

The assumption no one wants an organised tour is, I would say, a rash one and an idea that (sadly) has not been tested this time as nobody has offered it...I suspect there would in fact be plenty ready to sign on but maybe I'm wrong.

People new to the WD bike scene and thinking of going to Normandy don't have quite the blasé attitude of the 'old hands' or the knowledge of where to go and what to see. The opportunity to take part in a tour that has an established pre booked base and to be able to easily mix with more experienced people for moral and practical support is a great incentive to 'take the plunge' I would have thought...Much like the 65th. in fact...I did an M20 tour 2 years before the 65th. and got 17 bikes, an unheard of number up to that point and more M20s than I had ever seen in one place and all there because the event was planned ahead.....
2 years later there were 56 M20s....and 88 other machines...
Not an accident but the result of taking the decision to make it happen and doing it...

In my experience stories of difficulties moving around during the week or so of a tour are greatly exaggerated and in practice are limited to a few events and locations on particular days...

For example, Arromanches was closed off on D Day of the 65th. but by liasing in advance with the Mayors department it was possible to obtain entry for our group of 144 right into the centre of the activities as invited guests, something that could not have been done 'off the bat'...

Obviously there are some logistical issues with moving a large group around but these aren't insurmountable by any means and the whole purpose of 'organisation', 'co-ordination' or whatever you want to call it is to negate these problems and make them manageable.

The fact is to travel in such a large group provides a 'buzz' that can't be experienced by riding round in small groups. Fine perhaps if you've done it all before, but what about those more recently involved...?

Personally, I found the opportunity to get together for 10 days with a large group of like minded individuals and to achieve the primary goal of a commemorative act that raised the profile of DRs and the sacrifices they made was a great personal experience and quite exhilarating....

Is it now the prevailing idea is it is better to take it easy than to make an effort to achieve and maintain something that is worthwhile? ....It's a good thing that wasn't the prevailing view on the 65th. and the 70th. as neither of those events, so fondly remembered by those who took part, wouldn't have come to pass...Ian

I think there must be another grass field in normandy we could use and sod the mvt

I've been using the campsite at Etreham for about 25 years now and I like the location and amenities (toilets, showers, electric, bar, restaurant etc). I've done plenty of camping in green fields, but for my annual holiday in Normandy I prefer to be with friends in an environment that's a bit more sophisticated.

It also has nothing to do with the MVT although we have worked alongside Preston and Rex in previous years. Ron

In my opinion the key question here is; do we all want to go for another Guinness book of World record run or should we organise some rides to memorable places in Normandy next year? It would save lots of time and energy if we just make a calendar from 1st untill the 9th of June 2019 where we schedule a destination every day and let everybody decide theirselves if they want to join or not. There's no stress of people not showing up and we don't have just 1 option to have a ride together.
It's just an idea....

Cheers, Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

I more or less agree with you Sven, but for newer members and guys like Gerard who have been fed the wrong information who end up spread around different areas, it will be difficult for them to participate in anything that a main group is anticipating without some form of prior liaison.

This is why I've tried to encourage booking in early for the DR field at Etreham, so that at least we are all mostly together so that any unplanned rides or events can be discussed each day.

I still feel that someone is thinking of organizing something! But to my mind it should have been voiced long before now. Ron

['But to my mind it should have been voiced long before now. Ron']

I agree and that is where the failure lies this time IMO...
Apart from the lack of any kind of plan, which will probably result in nothing fully inclusive being organised on the day, the fact that an ad hoc arrangement does nothing for anyone who has never been before and that no one knows who is going to be there or where they will be, what could possibly go wrong?...

There is also the fact that if there are restrictions to movement the only way to overcome these is by prior arrangement as was done at Arromanches on D day of the 65th. No prior arrangement would have meant no access to this key location on D Day...

Ron has the right idea in trying to place as many people as possible in one location...That at least provides a fighting chance of getting runs organised for the greatest number of participants...

The D Day tour was never actually about a Guiness record primarily and to my mind there is an unfortunate focus on that aspect of it...That was an extra added to the 65th. tour to provide another point of interest and a rallying point to gather bikes together for the D day visit to Arromanches...There were other runs organised as well...
All of this was done to make it more of a 'holiday' for those that took part as well as to fulfil its primary purpose as a commemorative event for WW2 Despatch Riders....The wreath laying at the British Cemetery was the focal point of that aspect of the tour and in reality is the reason we were all in Normandy..

That, at least, should not be forgotten....

A pre arranged diary sounds good but who will collate it and who will disseminate that information so that everyone in Normandy is aware of it?...

We could always ring a friend on our mobiles for the answer...Or maybe there's a D Day App...:laughing:...Ian

Hopefully we are not being too pessimistic here? And some might think, why not organize something instead of complaining about it. But we have done it before and for my own part, especially the 70th, I had well over a 200 on my emailing list with regular updates and queries to attend to, not to mention the new camp site owners who had never seen it before and with the obvious language barrier. ( I even made a 2 day rece trip to Normandy prior to June). I did have some extremely good help with runs but the GWR event was fraught with problems and threats from a certain person about an unofficial convoy, which meant the venue had to be kept secret until the actual run. Even what seems like a simple thing like collating tour cap requirements, ordering and distributing can be extremely time consuming.

On the whole it did all work but could have been better and in hindsight needs to be a team rather than an individual.

As I've said on several occasions, I'm more than happy to help, but only prepared to put myself through it again as part of a team.

Ron

I don't think pessimism comes into this...and I also well remember the 18-24 months or so of time and effort that I and others put into the conception, planning and execution of the 65th....

Now I feel very disappointed that no individual or group has displayed sufficient motivation to 'pick up the torch' and get things underway to try to create an event that would really make the 75th. anniversary one to remember for the people that take part and one that encourages new people to take the plunge and get involved.....Much as the 65th. and the 70th. did in fact...

Of course many will make their way over and some will get together for a ride out but I don't feel it's the same thing at all...

However, I guess I've said my piece so now it's time to make my own arrangements....Ian

having had a long chat with Ian the other day, i would guess there are many "members" like myself who are planning to attend but who are only previously occasional visitors;
ive only been 3 times previously...
as such i would say my personal knowledge of Normandy falls far below that required to organise even a run out...
as such i would hope to camp at etreham (ive allready sent details off) in order to be around anyone else on bikes. ive tried being with MVT in the past and not had the best of experiences...

so i guess i'll just turn up around the 4th and suck it and see ???

chris

email (option): chris dot astin barker at bee tee internet dot com

""However, I guess I've said my piece so now it's time to make my own arrangements....Ian""

Yes my sentiments entirely. It's what I'm doing too. Ron

Gerard
There seems to be a lot of confusion about about the campsite. I was told, by and MVT official, quite a while ago, that the campsite was full. As a consequence I've had to join the IMPs to get on to their site at Port-en-Bessin. However, if you've spoke to the owners of the Etreham site and there is still space I guess its true. Its just a shame that most of my friends will now be staying down the road.
I am travelling (3HW) with the IMPs too but this is the first time for me and I wanted to get on an organised trip, they seem to have organised an eventful week though.

Just a quickie...

I'm a part of this group... It's well organised & the guys are all great too...

Might be worth looking into if anyone is looking for an "organised" event?

http://www.ltf-hq.com/

Ian

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Ian, the Liberation Task Force is not an organisation I would recommend.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Rob Miller

Rob
No indeed! it's this bloke who charges you 5 Euros or something,(WHY?) who seems to think he owns the the roads of Normandy and was threatening me with the Gendarmes from the outset of the 70th. In fact they were nothing but friendly and helpful. I have absolutely no time for this guy. Ron

Ron Pier
Rob Miller

Rob
No indeed! it's this bloke who charges you 5 Euros or something,(WHY?) who seems to think he owns the the roads of Normandy and was threatening me with the Gendarmes from the outset of the 70th. In fact they were nothing but friendly and helpful. I have absolutely no time for this guy. Ron
You might find, that since I got involved with them, the group has sort of "changed ownership"...
The previous guy I think your talking about is now getting stripey sun tans at Her Majesty's leisure.

Can't speak for what you guys experienced, as since I've been with them, it has been a good gig.

If it's the bloke we're talking about then he'll be dropping the soap in the shower on purpose !:face_with_rolling_eyes:

Ian Foster
Ron Pier
Rob Miller

Rob
No indeed! it\'s this bloke who charges you 5 Euros or something,(WHY?) who seems to think he owns the the roads of Normandy and was threatening me with the Gendarmes from the outset of the 70th. In fact they were nothing but friendly and helpful. I have absolutely no time for this guy. Ron
You might find, that since I got involved with them, the group has sort of "changed ownership"...
The previous guy I think your talking about is now getting stripey sun tans at Her Majesty's leisure.

Can't speak for what you guys experienced, as since I've been with them, it has been a good gig.
Ian, are you saying that Gerald is in Prison?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I haven't dealt with him since 2014 and had not heard of his incarceration, but to my mind it's poetic justice. I WOULD NOT succumb to anyone telling me where I can or can not drive whilst on holiday in a free traveling EU country. Ron

Quite...From my experience I would say that bloke was trying to get control of peoples Normandy trips using his pseudo organisation and via the French Authorities entirely for his own enrichment...If he's been locked up I hope they lose the key...Ian

Ron Pier
I haven't dealt with him since 2014 and had not heard of his incarceration, but to my mind it's poetic justice. I WOULD NOT succumb to anyone telling me where I can or can not drive whilst on holiday in a free traveling EU country. Ron
But Ron, you all voted against it. If Theresa and her friends crash out then you won't be EU in 2019 and they're talking about body cavity searches for English visitors.:stuck_out_tongue:

Rik I'm talking about past and current times. If they introduce body cavity searches in the future, I'll be prepared with some SAE 40. Ron

No not Gerard, but his oppo... his No 2 I guess... Ive had little to do with Gerard but seriously, I really did enjoy my two trips with them. No politics, backbiting, bullying or negative waves... maybe things have changed since you guys were involved? I dunno?? BUT I do take onboard your comments.

Just for clarity the Liberation Task Force Gerard being talked about is not myself.

I'm a good boy and my only brush with the law was a speeding fine on my motorbike - it wasn't an M20!

Gerard

Yes it's not you Gerard. Ian Foster has taken your name in vain:relaxed: He should have typed 'Gerald'. I still like you despite your criminal record!! Ron

I am innocent I tell you... My hands never left my wrists! ;-)

Hello Ron and all. I'm not sure about the dreaded politics of what has gone on before, but the tremendous effort of the "few" that make these events possible is what matters. All I can say is, as a Normandy Bike Virgin next year I hope to lose my cherry. God willing I will get there on a bike, meet fellow enthusiasts, visit new places, meet old friends, make new ones, pay my respects to the fallen to whom I and my country owe our freedom and...... oh yes, maybe get a bit pissed and have a bloody good time.
To qoute Oddball Ron.. "if we ain't there, it's cos we're dead.!! Woof woof👍👍

email (option): petethejeep@hotmail.co.uk

And I'm just in front of both of you at 73 going on 60! My first Normandy tour was the first one with the MVCG for the 30th D-Day anniversary in 1974 and I've enjoyed every one. I was driving Charlie Mann's K2 ambulance as featured in the latest edition of Windscreen for April page 33. The half-track was Charlie's too, driven by Ralph Berryman, and the QL trooper on the next page was Mike Ely's also with the Cornish contingent. We had Will Weightman with us, a DR who had landed at Arromamnches at 7am on D-Day. He managed to meet up with a french family he knew from those days and was whisked away and treated royally so we didn't see a lot of him.
Richard and I have been booked in at Etreham for 2019 since last year but we will be seeing them in a couple of weeks to confirm it.
PS I have already volunteered to help with any organising for next year if John or John want to point me in the right direction

email (option): paul@holmesfamily.ws

As you can judge by the photograph of our campsite at Longues-sur-mer where we offered all visitors a cups of tea, I am always willing to help out. 2019 will most likely see us at the Moto-X field outside Basly on the D141 just of the D83. This is in the middle of the Canadian zone, as we are committed to a Canadian regiment for D-day. The site at Longues has a few issues, so that we have had to give that one a miss.
If interested, we could offer to be an assembly point for a road run into Benouville and beyond to the Battery of Merville museum? Or a general picnic or BBQ, where you bring you food and we will supply the tea/coffee.
I am also willing to help out with any more formal event that we might like to get organised. The road run of things is best left to those of us, who have previous experience with running that type of thing.

So, what would we like to see organised? With several campsites catering for MV and motor cycle enthousiasts, each municipality will try to get their share of tourists and the money they bring. The Bayeux parade is overbooked every year and burning out your clutch there is not my thing. The Royal marine Commando commemoration in Port-en Bessin seems like a fun event, but if we show up with 100+ motorcycles not all will be ammused.
To me, with the weather in mind as a spoiling factor, some road runs would be nice. Travelling not as a convoy, but like the VMCC runs: travel at your own speed, sticking to road regulations etc. we would not need to have all sorts of permissions as it is not a formally organised run, I guess. So what do we want, and who is willing to contribute that that?

By the way, we will always be able to offer space on our site, but facilities are somewhat limited, and the village is a few kliks aways.

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

hi all,

any new developments on the normandy visit? If all goes well i will be there also on the M21 and would love to see other there.

email (option): robbyprinsen@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1