Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear frame repair - Before I take everything apart

Hello Everyone,

The rear stand lug on my frame has broken on the left (non spring) side, leaving about half of it. I've got the stand held in place for now by using a heavy spring, and I can still use the rear stand if I'm careful.

Clearly it requires welding as a permanent repair.

To do this, do I need to dismantle the whole rear of the bike? Or can I just pop out the rear wheel at my local friendly welder's shop?

If complete disassembly is required I'll wait until the end of the riding season!

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Re: Rear frame repair - Before I take everything apart

Evening Allan,
A picture or a link to one will be great.
Can you please post one?
Nice weekend - Michael

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

I would recommend dismantling as it would require welding from both sides. It would be possible to weld as you described but very awkward.
Best of luck... Jon

email (option): jonsewell8@hotmail.com

You will have to be careful not to use to much heat when you are welding it as its very close to several braised joints.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

TIG welding will do the job very efficiently. If the repair is super close to a brazed joint, weld only a little at a time and blow it cold with an air gun.

email (option): iron_ariel@yahoo.ca

Thanks so much for all the helpful guidance, gentlemen. I'll ride with it as it is this season and then, come the cold weather, I'll start taking it apart.

All best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1