Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finding a Swallow model 8 sidecar.

I am playing with the idea to (sometime in the future) fit a side car to my BSA. What are the odds to find an Original model 8 Swallow? Never seen one FS. I see Stuart Bray is offering all kind of replica services...but would prefer the real deal.

Any leads or ideas? Thanks allot.

Jacco

Re: Finding a Swallow model 8 sidecar.

Hi Jacco, I have been involved with Side caring and Military Motorcycles for over 30 years and a Swallow model 8 has been a dream of mine for most of that time, but I don't think have never seen a genuine model 8 sidecar body for sale, a few chassis turn up but they are pretty rare too.

So good luck with your search.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The Swallow 8 was steel over an Ash frame and I've only ever seen one for sale at Founders day 7-8 years ago and if I remember it was about £2000.

After the war the 'Variable Pitch Propeller Co' produced a near identical sidecar body called a VP Viper, which was of very lightweight ally construction. I had one of these on my 16H (Sven now has it on his 16H) There were two designs to my knowledge, one with a spearhead design in the bonnet and a plain one like mine.

Even these are very hard to find but probably more chance than a genuine Swallow. A fellow forum member does own another 'Viper' and it's up to him if he offers it for sale. I'm fairly sure Stuart Bray's will be of wooden construction??Ron

16H_043

16H_044

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Now that's some good info for you all. Thanks!

The Stuart Bray version comes both in wood and metal, as mentioned on his website.

He copied this Original frame:

Thanks for the info...I'll keep my eyes open and think about the options.

Jacco

I have a Swallow sidecar and chassis and a single seat Swallow sidecar for sale if anyone is interested. The shape is not exactly the same as the VP but would make a nice original outfit for someone. I also have a Norton sidecar chassis for sale which takes a single seat sidecar but not a Big 4. Anyone interested send me an email off line and I will send photos. Cheers, John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

And I have dimensions for the VP/Swallow if anyone needs them.

For added information and to my knowledge, apart from the Big 4 (SWD) the Swallow model 8 was the only officially ordered passenger sidecar and from memory were ordered for the RAF only and fitted to M20's and 16H's. The M20 was fitted with the Swallow chassis whereas Norton used there own chassis. Ron

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156910102@N02/40400634302/

email (option): marcoleo1967@gmail.com

hi i have a swallow model 8 and need a screen frame do u no if there is a copy avalible? cheers

I got the screen and surround for mine above many years ago from Jim at Sidecar Restorations 01530 832357 but I've no idea if he's still going.

Otherwise do a google search http://www.ansonclassic.co.uk/sidecar-services/

Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1