Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 project in Australia

Hi All,

I have begun a project, well 10 years ago lol. I bought a basket case WM20 that had already been pulled apart. I have been slowly piecing it back together, until I hit snags of missing parts etc. then I have to find them at swap meets, online etc. I was wanting to learn a bit more about the old girl while slowly working on her. She has ID stamp of WM20 59389 on frame and engine, I also have another engine stamped ZM20 4867. I also found another little ID tag in some of the boxes I got with her Which is marked Chassis contract number C11101 & catalogue ref. no. 31. not sure if this belongs to this bike or not. I would love to know where see has served and with who, also any tank numbers or special decals or marking she had. I love this bike and cant wait to get her up and running, but it is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle so the going is slow, any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

email (option): dpreece@agleader.com

Re: WM20 project in Australia

Just sent you some info via email.

Ray

Hi Dazza,

Your BSA has been used in Australia and it had Australian tank number 87525. When it left the factory in England it had tank number C4663132 but that number would be painted over on arrival to receive an Australian tank number.

That contract plate is the correct one for your BSA. Your BSA left the factory 30-4-1942 and it first went to the Ministry of Supply in London.

I can send you copies of that factory information and the Australian tank number info page, I can also send you some photos of BSA's with tank numbers close to your BSA.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thank you so much Henk and Ray. I really do appreciate the time and effort you guys have given me.
Ray has sent me some fantastic info via email which has blown me away, I am amazed that records like that can still be seen...wow !!
Henk if you have anymore photos I would love to see them, Ray has sent me some which might be the same but would love to see them anyway. And of course any other info you have too please.
Once again I really do thank you, you are both gentlemen and have given me more info that I ever thought possible.
Now I have to get my girl finished,my enthusiasm has just stepped up a level.

Cheers guys

As a rule of thumb a bike with matching numbers, particularly those made late in the war were sold surplus and unused.
At the first major service the Australian practice was to swap the engine for a rebuilt one and send the bike out same day.
I have 78096 , again matching numbers & O know mine was unused.
It does not appear in the army registrar books reciently made available from the Aust war Meusem.
The second owner told me the original owner bought it from the surplus auctions direct and not from a dealer reselling surplus bikes which sort of ties in.

Unfortunately owner NO 2 sent it to a notorious local "restorer" who had a bad habit of swaping any part that would fit into the hole .
Thus it wears plunger rear hinged guard, MC1 regulator, wrong oil tan. wrong battery carrier wrong horn & wrong bars.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Thanks for that Trevor, appreciate you taking the time to reply. I have been spoilt by Ray and Henk with lots of info on these old girls. Has really sparked me into trying to get her finished now.

Cheers mate

Nieuwe pagina 1