Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Primary chain length?

I have a 1950 M21 and need to replace the primary chain. It has a 19 tooth engine sprocket. The bike currently has a 69 link chain but I see that it is supposed to have for this size sprocket a 70 link chain. I am wondering if the 70 link chain was shortened to take up wear or is 69 links correct?

Bruce

Re: Primary chain length?

EDIT: My mistake, the engine sprocket is 20 teeth not 19. But still need to know how many links the original chain should be.

Bruce

AFAIK

Sprocket 15/16 T = 68 links
17/18 T = 69 links
19/20 T = 70 links

Cheers

Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Bruce, a standard WM20 has a 19T sprocket and 69 links. I had to up mine to 70 links when I went up to 600cc and fitted a 21T spocket. I've now gone down to a 20T sprocket and still on 70 links. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

According to the "useful Information" in the technical section,the standard sprocket is 18 teeth

The technical Section has the engine and gearbox sprockets listed the wrong way round, with an 18T engine and 19T gearbox...

It should be a 19T engine and 18T gearbox...

Those are the sizes for a WDM20...

On the other hand, the standard engine sprocket size for a solo 1958 M21 is 20T..(1949-58 BSA parts list)....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

and I have a tatty parts list showing M20 as 18T and M21 as 20T (albeit for solo 1955 models)- confusing sometimes.

Did the civvy and WD models have different gearing?

Cheers

Pete

You have to remember that WD models had different gearing to civvy models so the correct parts list has to be referred to...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1