Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox ID

The gearbox on my recently purchased rigid 1948 B33 is different to those that I have on my M and later B series bikes. Am I correct in assuming that this is the 1946-1948 type of gearbox? I haven’t come across one of these before with the speedo drive by the drive sprocket. Are there any peculiarities that I need to look out for when working on it?
Here are a few pictures of a spare that I got with the bike.

Cheers

Pete

spare 6

spare 4

spare 1

spare 5

Re: Gearbox ID

Pete,

yes you are correct. Give aways are the narrow bottom attachment lugs and the bolt that should go in the rear lug to regulate primary chain tension.

Kind regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

This box was a further development of the light weight box fitted to pre war B Models and the 1940 B29...

As such it shares many, but not all, of the internals of that box...

Overall construction is far lighter than the later M and B type rigid/plunger boxes though the operating principles are the same...in fact it is a scaled down version of the heavier box, including a smaller main bearing..

Access to the kick start return spring is not as easy as on the later types and generally the lighter construction means they have not stood the test of time so well if they have high mileage on them..So expect to find more wear than might be expected in an equivalent age/use M20 box...

Interestingly the gear change ratchet and pawl assembly is the same as the M20...
Adjustment of the shaft end float is done by the use of differing thickness bronze and steel spacers rather than by using shims as in the heavyweight box..

If you have a spare box that is a good thing as spares are harder to source than they are for the other types..

Funnily enough I've just been offered a B33 project of the same year....

Here's a picture of the internals of the earlier version that I restored..Ian
 photo DSC00565.jpg

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the information!

Ian, the picture will help when I take a look inside the boxes. I have also the BSA sheet 302 with an exploded diagram of the 1946-48 gearbox. Do you know if there is a service sheet which describes servicing and tolerances of these boxes such as the 608 for B/M boxes?

The spare I have has been overhauled (according to writing on the shell) but is very stiff although I can rotate the shaft by hand-just. I intend to strip it to have a look. Should I look for the same tolerances / end floats etc. as the B/M boxes?

Cheers

Pete

I have some info. on the earlier box, which is essentially the same regarding set up of the shafts...Not sure if I have a 1946 maintenance manual...I'll have to have a dig through my paperwork for that...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian.
Thanks, I would appreciate any info.
The more I know before messing with the thing the less damage I am likely to cause.
Cheers
Pete

It would be good to find out the dimensions and position of the spacers. What is the purpose of the bronze spacer? Sacrificial?
I have a early B1 gearbox in pieces, and I haven't done any thing more with rebuilding it, as I can't determine where the spacers fit from the exploded drawing I have.
Any information would be appreciated.
KeithA

email (option): keithatkinson@hotmail.com

Any idea on how to remove the speedometer drive? Is it screwed in? There is a nut on top thread but not sure what that is about. Had the 46 instructions copy but forgot where I hid it.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Here from sheet 306

"Slack off the large nut on the drive and give the end of the drive a tap with a hide mallet. Remove the locating screw.
The large nut can now be used to withdraw the drive, distance pieces being built up behind the nut until the drive is fully withdrawn."

Haven't done this myself on this box but I think you can see the head of the locating screw (hex head) on the second picture in the first post above.

Pete

Thanks Pete

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

I have one of these gearboxes almost complete. Anyone interested in it? I will upload some photos soon.

Adam

photo 20170129_150451_zpslx5rjadf.jpg

photo 20170129_150456_zpsfpm4rxos.jpg

I have this 46-48 gearbox if anyone is interested. Mostly complete.

Adam Hayward, if still available i would be interested in your gearbox/parts

email (option): jakethebrake@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1