Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton 16H 18" wheels

I have been given the job of rebuilding a pair of wheels for a mate for his 16H. He has supplied a 19" rim and 16H hub and a complete wheel for a pattern to copy offsets and spoke pattern,I have just looked at the complete wheel and it has a 18" rim which I presume is for a big 4 outfit, My question is would the big 4 wheel fit a 16H ok if so I will build up the hub onto a 18" rim to match. I have read on this site that some 16H were fitted with 18" rims I presume this was not a factory fit though. Any help/advice would be grateful.. Dave

Also posted on wd 16h forum

Re: Norton 16H 18" wheels

Hi Dave

16H hubs have a casting both sides for a bearing, Big4 hubs only have one on one side.

You could possibly use a big4 hub in the front of a 16H if you also used the Big4 brake drum with the other bearing in it, but the wheel spindle is also bigger on a Big4 so it would be difficult.

If you have got a Big4 wheel its a very sought after part so probably worth lots more than a 16H one.

Hope this helps

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Dave, 18" wheels were a factory fit on later-war WD16H sidecar outfits. These were principally supplied to the RAF (I have seen no evidence that the army took other than the odd couple).

When fitted with a 4.00 x 18 tyre, ride height was unaltered and wear rates improved considerably.

My feeling is that a solo 16H would feel over-tyred with 4.00 front and rear but you could probbaly get away with one on the rear and a 3.25 x 19 at the front (it wouldn't be pukka WD16H though if he's building a military bike).

If he runs 18" wheels with 3.25 tyres then ground clearance would be compromised and the geometry altered. Solo Nortons don't really seem to like 18" wheels in general.

Big 4 and 16H hubs are different. A standard 16H would have 19" rims but it seems that some 16H (and M20) sidecar outfits did have 18" rims with 400x18 tyres. It looks to me like this one is on 18" rims. Ron
 photo RAF sidecar 2_zps1iwsrg54.jpg

PS all posting together

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for replys guys I dont have much experience with 16H, will check out both hubs as they may be big 4. I know bike has to be right so will have to have 19" wheels.
Thanks again Dave

Remember both wheels are identical and interchangeable on the WD16H

So are the 3 wheels on a SWD Big 4 Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Just had a good look at both hubs one on the complete 18" wheel and the loose hub, both have cast end plates so they must be 16H? & the complete wheel must be from a 16H outfit correct?. So looks like I need 2 new 19" rims and spoke kits to suit. As the rims are to be coated I need them unplated anyone have pointers where to buy them in the uk, I normally use CWC but thought I,d ask for other options. I presume the rims are WM2 front and back! also I need the offsets for both front and back wheels if anyone can help would be appreciated.. Dave

Personally I don't like CWC wheel rims due to the structural defect they all seem to have from the seam welding operation during manufacture...

That is, a misalignment of the two ends prior to welding the seam. The result is a pronounced 'kick' in the rim that cannot be removed by the wheel builder (unlike a small distortion of the rim caused by an accident)...

They also had no interest in rectifying the problem when I spoke to the manager there...

I believe 'Devon Rim Company' rims are the best on the market and they are happy to supply them in a non plated state as they manufacture the rims themselves...A google search will find them...

I've just fitted a set of their stainless rims to my 'hack' Triumph Bonneville...Also very good quality and finish...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian I only have had spoke kits from CWC so didnt know about there rims, I also have a VALTRU stainless rim on my 6T THUNDERBIRD from Devon rim company I found they are up to a good standard and once I had laced them to the rim I had them trued up within 1/2 hr, didnt think to ask for unplated rims from them though.Thanks for the reminder.. Dave

Rob Miller
Hi Dave

16H hubs have a casting both sides for a bearing, Big4 hubs only have one on one side.

You could possibly use a big4 hub in the front of a 16H if you also used the Big4 brake drum with the other bearing in it, but the wheel spindle is also bigger on a Big4 so it would be difficult.

If you have got a Big4 wheel its a very sought after part so probably worth lots more than a 16H one.

Hope this helps

Rob
I believe you can alter a WD 16H wheel hub to a SWD Big 4 wheel hub by removing the inner bearing housing from the 16H hub - all very simple really.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

It can be modified, but the hub needs to be bare (not a spoked wheel) and has to be machined in a lathe, and a bush pressed in, not too difficult, but still…

Have done this before, so first hand experience!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi##.net (think about this!)

A good friend of mine modified the 16H hub which was very easy to find to SWD Big 4 spec on his lathe so no need to spend lots of money. The bearing in the SWD Big 4 hub is more for aligning the spindle in regard to the rear wheel and sidecar wheel as both contain the large bearing housings which really do all the work.

email (option): keithchandler@clistandchandler.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1