Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1943 BSA WM20

Hello for the USA,
I am looking at an original 20. I was looking for a WLA, but they are expensive. The bike has not run in a few years. I can check compression and spark, but not much else comes to mind. Any advice on what to check out?
I have brought a couple of old Hondas back to life, but they are simple to get running.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

email (option): Cbhaws@verizon.net

Re: 1943 BSA WM20

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

If you can get Hondas to come to life you should have no trouble with a WM20. Change the oil (flush out the old stuff if possible); flush and refill the gas; replace spark plug -- all the usual stuff. You have a magneto so you don't need to worry about a battery to get the bike running. Anything that has stood for a while will have oil pooled in the bottom of the various cases, so make sure you have lubricants in the crankcase, gearbox, chain case and squirt some in the spark plug hole before you start kicking it over.

This may mean you have a few overflows when you start it up, but better too much than too little oil. You need lubrication right from the start!

Gas tends to turn gummy if left for a long time. Make sure clean gas can flow into a non-gummy carburetor.

When it runs again, grease the wheel bearings before any long rides.

Enjoy!

Allan Hunter
Boston USA

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Drain off the crank case otherwise the oil drag on the flywheel will stop it spinning fast enough to start. If you are able to start it with out draining be prepared to fill ever thing with smoke.

Thanks guys I have found the bike has a frame made in probably 1943 and the motor is 1941. The letter the current owner sent me indicates this. There was a comment in the note that all WM20's started life with matching numbers. As the bikes needed repairs during the war engines got swapped out. The note is dated 1967 from BSA Company Limited.

When you say drained drain off the crank case I need some help understanding. I know it has an oil tank. Do you mean drain the oil from the crankcase. Will the oil from the tank refill the crankcase? Sorry I need to get a manual so I can understand how these engines work.

I have several old Hondas, 1963 305 Dream, 1976 250 Elisnore and a1980 CX 500.
I also have a 2006 Honda Big Ruckus and a 2009 Harley Fatboy
I have rIding since I was 12 and an now nearly 70.

My son has a number of WWII jeeps, as Scout car basket case, and his laters pride and joy is US Halftrack with a propane operate .50 cal. He is really into WWII reenactments.
He also told me about the crazy prices at the auction. The Cushman for 142,000. Looks like you could make an exact copy without breaking the bank. I have been bitten now to make a replica and an exact copy.

email (option): Cbhaws@verizon.net

Due to wear on the pump and built in anti drain valve oil will drain from the tank into the sump. It can given time fill up the bottom of the crank case to the point where it will flow through the main bearings into the primary chain case. Unfortunately this means draining crank case if left for a time.

Nieuwe pagina 1