Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Form V112 Declaration of exemption from MoT - can someone remind me

dear All, guidance greatly valued.

I've forgotten what i am supposed to do about this. My 1940 exWD M20 is insured and taxed electronically (amount zero)

But I can't remember if there is anything i need to do re MoT in terms of filling in the form V112. As I didn't tax my vehicle at a Post Office I didn't have to show it. Do i just fill the form in and keep it by me. All reliable guidance welcome with thanks

Re: Form V112 Declaration of exemption from MoT - can someone remind me

Peter if your V5C quotes your bike as being registered before 1960, OR! it has 'declared year of manufacture' of before 1960 on the front page, then you are automatically MOT exempt and you have to do nothing......Otherwise DVLA would not have issued you your tax for the year. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Dear Ron, many thanks for this. I have checked my V5C and the declared year puts it in the no payment needed category, so thanks for confirming I don't need to do anything. Much appreciated. all best peter

Date of registration has NO effect on MOT exemption...

MOT exemption is governed by the stated date of manufacture, which must be before the January 1st. 1960...

My 1941 M20, for example, was registered in 1968 when it was 'demobbed'..Unfortunately the date of manufacture was also recorded as being the same year so my M20 is NOT currently MOT exempt...

For that I have to have the stated date of manufacture corrected to 1941...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
Date of registration has NO effect on MOT exemption...
..Ian

Ian. I agree that it's the year of manufacture that counts. But as long as a vehicle is registered before 1960, then naturally the vehicle must have been built before that date.

It must be straight forward to get a dating letter from BSAOC or VMCC to get your V5C amended. I even have vehicles registered as late as this year, but all have that "Declared year of manufacture" statement on the bottom of the V5C. Ron

My Norton 16h is mot exempt (made 1942 registered 1948) but when I try and tax it (also exempt but u have to go through the motions) on the computer electronically it won't allow it cos it says it needs an MOT. So I have to fill out a V112 and tax it at the post office. A real pain in the butt.

Yes Keith, I have run into this issue to when trying to Tax on-line...........the reminder form still sent to you states tax-class "Historic Vehicle" therefore exempt but the same form also states that the vehicle requires a MoT, so one contradicts the other..........I too, have to go to the bloody Post Office with the reminder form, my Insurance plus I take along my V5 for good measure that clearly states "declared manufactured", say, "1942"..............all this to not obtain a tax disc and to pay nothing for it either........a real waste of my time........last time I went through this farce to "tax" two bikes the girl in the Post Office didn't even look at my V5, simply stamped the reminder document as my receipt and that was that.......

This must be an anomaly in the DVLA on-line system............

Strange! Now that everything is free and MOT exempt, I'm taxing about 25 historic vehicles a year. Every one of them goes through the DVLA on line system in seconds. I must be their 'Blue Eyed Boy' Ron

Ron - seems to be getting easier, any bike which it TAX exempt do not even need insurance (though it says they are needed on the V55/5).

Done three this year, to day and its getting easier/quicker...

Expect a snotty letter about 3 weeks later saying that you are not insured though - telling you to SORN it (or insure it) - OR ELSE !

Oh yes, for gods sake do not tell them about any repro/modern parts - its ALL GENUINE AND ORIGINAL

I don't assume too much with the DVLA as I am not sure if their databases are totally linked up. I have a BSA WD B40 which had a "Q" plate. I provided a dating letter and was duly issued with an age related number. An "F" plate which was perfect.

However, the Log Book came back still showing the taxation class as "Motorcycle", as in pay some Road Tax....please.

I had rather hoped it would have come back showing "Historic Vehicle" especially as they had the dating letter showing the year of manufacture. The bike has been on SORN but I intend to have the class corrected before I put it back on the road.

So, my advice is always check what details they hold for each bike and don't assume all data they hold is in the right place.

Nieuwe pagina 1