Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
C number

Hi all,
I recently purchased a WM20 frame no 83809 and would like to know the C number and anything else about the bike please. In addition to to this I would like to put an insignia on the tank to comemorate my uncle who served in the 181st Field Regiment, Royal Artillary throughout the war, as I understand it he was in the REME.
Thanks very much
Rob

email (option): rob.caldwell@btinternet.cm

Re: C number

If your frame is WM20 83809, it was originally delivered with matching engine under contract S1048, scheduled for delivery at 2000 per month commencing WM20 81818 effective July 1943. This would put yours around August 1943.

On these later contracts, the last two digits match and it would have been C5117209.

This is C5116859 (probably WM20 83459)

photo C5116859_zpsdi8ysr6z.jpg

181 Field Regt. were part of 15th (Scottish) Division. Their formation sign was a red lion on a yellow circle but by 1944, formation signs were no longer authorised on motorcycles and both sides of the fuel tank would have carried the Arm of Service serial allocated to the 'middle' (in terms of seniority) field regiment which was '43'. According to Hodges & Taylor (British Military Markings), field regiments each had a R.E.M.E. L.A.D (Light Aid Detachment) attached and rather than the RA red/blue background, the number would have been displayed on the REME colours of blue/yellow/red

Thanks Rik that's very imformative, can you possibly explain to me please what exactly I should put on my tank and the layout (better still a pic).

email (option): rob.caldwell@btinternet.cm

Rob,

Perhaps the first thing to bear in mind is that most contracts had their own distinctive styles of applying the census number so you need to bracket yours with period photographs and convince yourself that you have the correct style and position. These were applied in the factory so any other marking has to be applied next to or on top of them.

This Canadian site gives a good idea of the arm of service serial and coloured background (Canada shared the British system).

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/markings/unitsignsinfantryunits.htm

You will see that there is a '42' on red and blue which indicates a Royal Artillery Field Regiment within an infantry division (as 181 Field were). However, the REME LADs attached used the same number but applied on REME colours (you can see the colour further down) thus uniquely idnetifying to which regiment they were attached.

This panel would have been applied on both sides of the fuel tank. Early in the war, the divisional formation sign would have been on the right hand side (in the case of 15th Division, the Scottish lion). This had been discontinued by 1944 but appeared on other vehicles and many owners like to apply a divisional marking to restored motorcycles as the affiliation is otherwise not clear but it is, strictly speaking incorrect.

Nieuwe pagina 1